Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Essentials for moving into halls?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi Guys,
I have just got my loan and grant in, and am moving to halls very soon, so what I want to know is what essentials should I invest in?!

Thanks!

capo2
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Elms village?

You'll find that most things are already there in halls like cuttelry and crockery. So yeh, just food and clothes really and maybe some speakers for your room to listen to music while studying or whatever.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    You'll find that most things are already there in halls like cuttelry and crockery.

Not in my halls! All we got was a mattress and some shelves/wardrobe/drawers/cupboards.
    Toastie machines are an utter GOD SEND!! :D
    Posters and a few decorations to make it feel your own.

Dressing gown/some other plan to make what you sleep in suitable to appear in public in for a fire alarm.

Alarm Clock.

Speakers for laptop or a radio, something to give a bit of background noise.
    Oh yes, be prepared for fire-alarms at ungodly hours. Most irritating.
    oh the joy of fire alarms.

essentials - stock up on daft things like tinned foods, packets of noodles, bottles of dilute juice, etc. just something to keep in the cupboard for when the nice food runs out/the money runs out.

aside from that, everyone elses suggestions seem tip top.
    I found investing in an indoor clothes airer handy when I was too tight to use the tumble dryer (which was very often)...Or one of those mini ones you put on your radiator...
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Curvy_lass wrote: »

Blimey, I'd forgotten all about those.

I used to miss those...probably because my lectures were at even more ungodly hours :mad:
    You wouldn't miss ours because of lectures, far more likely to miss them if you had an party animal type social life.

Went through a phase of going off at about 0130 in the morning....
    Oh god, yes. In my first week at halls, the alarms went off at 4am on a Wednesday morning. I had to enrol at the university five hours later. Needless to say, when I did enrol that day, I looked like death on legs. Bastards.
    Bottle opener!
    Calvin wrote: »
    Bottle opener!
    That's most likely the only thing you did bring to halls. :p
    Hahaha, must say a few of those things I wouldn't have thought of - I'll have to make a note to buy a dressing gown! ;) Just left in my deposit and awaiting a confirmation email, I cannot wait to get my key-card!! :D
    Dressing gown in itself isn't essential, just something that covers that role.

Partly depends what kind of bathrooms you have too.

In 1st year we had shared kitchens and shared bathrooms, down various corridoors and up/down stairs. Fluffy dressing gown was pretty key for the bathrooms/kitchen in the morning. Now I have an en suite and shared kicthen on corridoor with mates, so I tend to just throw a hoodie on over my PJs for breakfast in the morning and take my Duvet out for a night fire alarm.
    Maybe I jinxed myself by posting that earlier message about the fire alarm.

It must've gone off 3/4 times last night, for periods of 20mins at a time. Really takes the piss I tell you now!!
    oh god the fire alarms..i would say lots of kleenex and drugs to combat freshers flu
    yes! i forgot about that - the dreaded freshers flu. we had one bloke who was down for almost a whole month with it. delicate soul that he was. lol.
    but yeah, plenty of cold relief capsules and all that, you'll need it im sure.

and a clothes horse, saved my life. the lowest setting on our tumble dryers was "nuke it", so after 5 minutes in one of them you'd never get your jeans on again. so a clothes horse was my wardrobes saviour.
    I moved in on Wednesday afternoon, after a slight kerfuffle because the girl who was meant to be moving out of the room I was meant to be going into, wouldn't go! So I got allocated a new room in a different block. I'm of the belief that things happen for a reason though, because the guys and girls I have ended up with are fantastic! All is going well so far! :D

capo2