Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Watch a Heroin Addict Film themselves in their final moments.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_7070000/newsid_7073100?redirect=7073120.stm&news=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&asb=1

This is not an easy watch; the police are planning to use video diary footage of Heroin addict Ben Rogers' last days before he died of Deep Vein Thrombosis.

My only comment is one of disgust at the utter naievity of whoever thought this needed 'mood music'; or me it is a piece of naked horror and should have been preserved as such.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Deep!
    thats a shame
    i agree, the 'mood music' or whatever they call it was unneeded
    Hello all

Does anyone know where i can get hold of the full DVD of this as I am a drug worker and feel it would be useful for training.

Cheers
    Jay
    http://www.junction15.com/

Jaydee:

This is the company to which Ben gave his footage; if you go to the contact page you can contact the production company. There is a mobile number for Darren Teale - who is the actual person Ben had contact with.

Hope this helps :)
    Filmmaker Involved With Ben

Hello.

I am the filmmaker involved with Ben's documentary.

Anybody wanting a copy of the documentary can contact me at info@junction15.com.

If I may, i'd like to take a moment to reply to Martin's initial posting in this thread concerning the use of 'mood music' as he put it.

Martin, you mention that you believe that the 'usage' scene - that you linked to - should have been left as a piece of naked truth and i agree that sometimes music is simply not needed, however I think you are missing the point of this documentary.

The fact that you chose to link to the only clip [out of a choice of i believe 4 clips] which shows some drug usage leads me to point out to you that this documentary is not about drug taking - it is about the affects of drugs on the individual addict, their friends and their families.

On the same website you found the clip on, their is a scene in which Ben is talking to his father, and likewise in the 45 minute documentary their are other scenes where we discover the affect of Ben's addiction on his family.

These scenes have either little or no music to them, because these are the real scenes that reveal the 'naked truth' of addiction, and we chose to add music to other scenes surrounding them in the film to help emphasise this point.

I assure you that mine and Ben's reasoning behind adding music to certain scenes was anything but naive, but your opinion is your own and i respect that, just perhaps give some more thought into the vocab you want to use to get your point across.

Thank you

Darren
    Hi D.Teale,

Thankyou for taking the time to post here; I appreciate you comments.

To clarify my comments; yes, I can understand your frustration at how my previous comment read, so apologies for any offense caused.

What happened was this; I got this story at work, saw the BBC clip, read the story and posted. From what the Beeb stated, it gave the impression that this was just a guy with a camera, indicating that the music had been added in post production. In the actual body text of the article there was (from my recollection) no mention of Junction 15 or a production company. I inferred (albeit wrongly) that someone at the Police or Beeb had added this in.

The page with the 4 other clips on I haven't had time to look at yet, the only reason I posted the subsequent details was I had 2 mins spare and someone wanted the info. I thought that this piece was fantastic, so that is why I did some digging.

On my original comment; if this was a decision taken by the guy involved then i've got nothing to say on the matter; no one but him has the right to choose how this is represented in this case. However, you might want to give the Beeb (or others) a poke, because from the way the story originally was told, it was not clear that Ben was involved in any kind of production process. It just reads as 'guy with camera'.

All this is nothing anyway compared to the original point; this is a profoundly moving piece of work. Its possibly one of the most horrifying pieces of film I've seen.

Once again apologies for any offense caused.

MB.
    thanks for the response

thanks for the reply martin.

unfortunately thats the trouble with news, there is a tendancy for information to be misinterpreted or left out alltogether!

the bbc radio stoke website gives a more acurate account of what happened - which is where im sure you found the link to my company's website.

no offence taken martin, im glad you replied.

regards

Darren
    Thanks for the Link Martin.

I have now emailed and am awaiting a response.

Thanks again
    Jaydee:wave:
This discussion has been closed.