Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Brussels - what's to do there?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I've got to go Brussels on Business for a week. I know nothing about the place at all.

My evenings will be free. Has anybody been there?

If so, what fun stuff do you recommend? :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    eating waffles!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    We were talking about Brussels in Monday's live chat. I reckon it's an underated city. Check out the Guardians been there section for tips on cool places to go :)
    **Helen** wrote: »
    We were talking about Brussels in Monday's live chat. I reckon it's an underated city. Check out the Guardians been there section for tips on cool places to go :)

I think it's boring, especially for a capital city. I wouldn't want to go back there. My Dad worked there for a while and I went and stayed in his apartment for a week. There was a lack of things to do, but it did give me a taste for chips with mayonnaise.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    katchika wrote: »
    I think it's boring, especially for a capital city. I wouldn't want to go back there. My Dad worked there for a while and I went and stayed in his apartment for a week. There was a lack of things to do, but it did give me a taste for chips with mayonnaise.

Were you on your own? That makes a massive difference.
    katchika wrote: »

I have to agree, I was bored shitless in Brussels. Brussels is also where I picked up my licking for chips and mayo :yum:

I think the most exciting part of the trip was seeing the monument of the little boy pissing into the fountain. (it has got an official name)
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Were you on your own? That makes a massive difference.

No, I was with my ex. But he was a boring git so that probably didn't help :)
    It's the Mannequin Du Pis. When I was there there was a carpet of flowers in the Grand Place, and a big funfair along the street.
    Binkyboo wrote: »
    I've got to go Brussels on Business for a week. I know nothing about the place at all.

My evenings will be free. Has anybody been there?

If so, what fun stuff do you recommend? :thumb:

I've been and there's fuck all to do there.

Go to near by Brugges, much nicer.
    eating waffles!

and chocs
    Thanks for the info all.

You guys have given it quite a mixed write-up. I never had it down as a boring city. You peeps have me worried now!

I'll check out Helen's link (thank you Helen) and see if I can find something to relieve the boredom. :)

I like mayo on chips anyway so thats dinner sorted. :thumb:
    the only belgian city i have been to is de panne and it had a lovely beach:thumb:
    Bugger all.
    Brussels is okay for a day or two. I got very bored after that time. Brugge is much better and much, much prettier.

The waffles, chips and chocolates are divine though.
    super cheap cigarettes in belgium if youre a smoker too. Cheaper than france.
    Go see this thing:

brussels09.jpg

and the pissing boy:

mannekenpis.jpg
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Go see this thing:

brussels09.jpg

I went there and I had NO idea what it was supposed to be...
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Bit of a random question but can you ski in Belgium in the winter?

I've noticed that work are putting on the big jet on the brussels route but we usually don't fill the small one. The only thing I could think of is ski flights :confused:

No you can't, Belgium is very flat. There might be a market for cross country skiing in the Ardennes Forest, but even then it's not guaranteed to snow much.

It might be because of the popular Christmas markets but I think it's a bit early for those?
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    It might be because of the popular Christmas markets but I think it's a bit early for those?

They do tend to start mid-november and are very poular.

I'm going on a one-day coach trip to Brugges next month for the christmas markets/shopping.
    I don't know why everyone raves about Brugge ahead of Brussels. Brugge is very beautiful and the beer is very good, but once you've sat and looked at the beautiful buildings for a while there ain't a right lot else to do.

Brussels is a lovely city, and there is a lot of things to do, but it depends on what your tastes are. The art galleries are really good, the parklands are lovely to walk around, and the coffee is pretty good. It doesn't have a throbbing nightlife but there are a lot of good bars and cafes, and it's perfectly enjoyable.

It's a lot more than concrete and Eurocrats.