Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Benefit fraud - can I get in to the US?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Several years ago I was convicted in court for benefit fraud. I got what I deserved, I was a scrounging scumbag who got caught, and I learned from it.

It was all done through the local council, no police involvement whatsoever - so would this prevent me from entering the US? I know that generally if you've ever been arrested then you'll have trouble getting a visa but what about my situation? I was dealt with through the local magistrates and was not given a custodial sentence.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shouldn't be, best way of finding out is to get in touch with the consulate in London, see what they say.
    You shouldn't have any problems, to be honest, it tends to be drugs or Communism they look for.

ask the US Consulate.
    If you are just going for a holiday and you can sign the visa waver then I very much doubt you will have any problems. If you want a longer term working visa you might have an issue.
    if you've ever been arrested

charged not just arrested.
    you should be okay.
    otter wrote: »
    charged not just arrested.
    you should be okay.

Shockingly the US immigration actually ask if you've ever been arrested (even if you were completely innocent) on their visa waiver forms.