Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uni Probs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi Guys,
I hope you can offer me some kind of advice here!

Basically, having made a complete arse of my 1st year at uni, I ploughed through my repeats and managed to get back. But now with 2nd year I have a whole new set of problems...which are completely getting to me. In some ways things are great, I'm happy with my modules and the work involved, and I've made a great group of friends, so in those respects, everything is settling nicely.

Although things at home are pretty bad...I can't stand to be in the house, and will do everything possible to stay out of the way, even if it involves staying out to ridiculous hours of the morning, and coming in when everyone is in bed. When I do eventually get to bed, I'm not sleeping properly and then getting up early for classes. It's really starting to distract me, to the point where I'm so wound up I'm just not going to lectures, which means then having to play catch up, which I shouldn't be having to do. Tutorials are becoming unbearable again, as I'm so anxious during them I blurt out complete rubbish and panic, which then makes me so moritified that I end up not bothering to attend the following class. It's annoying because this year I actually understand what I'm doing, and I always have my reading and any extra work which has been set, done for them, but I just can't seem to get my ideas across. On top of this I have been planning to move out, but thanks to the (aherm) efficient service of student finance I still have not received my loan, and it could be up to another 2 months before I do...

I just feel completely exhausted and sick at the moment...any advice folks?

Thanks again guys

capo2
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you tried any of the support services your uni offers?

It sounds like it might be worth talking to your personnal tutor as a starting point. If things at home are having that much of an impact on your study that you need to move out to be able to study effectively you may be eligible for some financial support from your uni until Student Finance sort themselves out. A massive kick up the backside towards student finance from the uni can also help to move things on sometimes.

I know it might sound scary, but have you talked to any of the people who lead the tutorials about the problems you're having? If they know that you're anxious they can bear that in mind and try and help you out so you slowly get used to participating and help build your confidence up.

Good luck with it all.
  • C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hi capo2,

It can be really hard at university when you’ve got problems at home. If it’s the people you’re living with then perhaps you could all sit down and talk about any issues. Sometimes housemates can be really annoying without realising it, and might not understand that they’re causing problems for other housemates. If your problems aren’t that easily solved then look to moving out. Speak to your universities student accommodation service and they will help you out.

When it comes to your uni work speak to your tutor like Scary monster said. If they know that you’re having problems then they will give you the help you need. If you’re not comfortable with talking to your tutor you can always talk to a counsellor or a peer advisor. To avoid any embarrassing blurting, write down any ideas that you have before saying them. This will help you when you are speaking, and even if you think you’ve made a complete boob of yourself in a tutorial, everyone will have forgotten about it the next day, so there’s no need to miss any classes.

There are some good articles on student stress and horrible housemates at TheSite.org that you might find helpful, plus the section on sleeping might help you get a better night's rest.

Hope this helps :thumb:
    Go and see the student welfare people too, they might be able to sort you out with some money from the hardship fund, or some other source.
    Thanks guys,
    I have an appointment with my tutor this afternoon, and Student Finance have just processed my application...finally...I think things may be starting to look up! Thanks for all the advice - I'll let you know how I get on.

capo2
    My tutor has been very understanding, helpful and encouraging...I don't understand why I didn't do this sooner to be honest! Halls have saved space for me and a friend...and while this doesn't completely solve everything I feel so much better already. Seriously guys, thanks again! :D

capo2