Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Manchester Met University

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm really interested in going here, I've read the prospectus and am going to the open day next month.

If you go there, whats it like? What are the halls like, the uni in general?

I'm not going to be applying til next year because I'm doing art foundation after I finish my A-Levels, but yeah.

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its awesome. manchester is such a fun city and i believe art is the all saints campus which is the best. halls are good, mostly split into flat and stuff but cavendish the dead cheap ones are just corridors of rooms and a kitchen between 20! kinda crazy but the party halls really. feel free to pm me any qus , ive done 2 yrs at mmu!
    i wanna go there!
    Manchester's a great city to go to uni in. Graduated from Man Met this year, but I wouldn't say the university is brilliant itself. Teaching quality isn't really that good and at least in my old department (Computing and Maths) there's a lot of issues and lack of organisation within it.

As for the halls I don't really know a lot about them as I never stayed in any of the actual uni halls. I wouldn't recommend student village (private halls) though. It's nickname of student prison is pretty accurate. But to be fair, the time spent in halls isn't about what the halls are like it's about partying and making new friends anyway.
    Don't go to actual Man Met, but have many friends who do and they love it. Briarfield's Hall is a great place to live, I love that accomodation

Manchester is an amazing city and would reccomend it to anyone. Oh, and the Union [where I have been spending much of my time so far this semester] is amazing 99p a drink! Can't go wrong there!! :lol:
    Apologies for the delay in replying to this. I don't know if the original poster has since made the university application, but here's what I would say.

I'm currently deferred from MMU, due to some shit that's happened in the last couple of weeks. I'm starting my first year afresh from September 2008. I was therefore only there a few weeks this year. However, I was incredibly impressed. Firstly, Manchester is simply a phenomenal city. I'd heard nothing but bad things when I first arrived, but such things proved to be unfounded. There's such a variety of things to do that you should never really be bored. Having worked on a holiday park for a few years, I'm already familiar with Mancunians. I've always liked them as people, and I like them even more now.

MMU itself surpassed all my expectations. I was worried that a university with 34,000 students (that's according to its own prospectus) wouldn't care about its individual students, and that all they wanted was to pile on the numbers. But I was wrong. The lecturers are surprisingly helpful, to say the least. The Student Union is pretty impressive, and Student Services, if you ever need them, are very good.

Nicolalou mentioned about Briarfields hall. I lived there during the last few weeks. It was my first choice and I got in. I certainly wouldn't mind going back there next year. I met quite a few people that I've stayed in touch with from that hall. It's an excellent hall.