Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Emergency Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

You could download the form yourself, fill it in and hand it in to your employer, or ask them for one.

Did you have a job before this one? If yes, you should have handed in your P45 Parts 2 and 3 and your new employers should have filed the Part 3 online or by post. As long as your P45 was issued in this tax year - ie since April 6 2007 - your new employer can use the tax code on it.

If you didn't have a P45 and haven't completed a P46, how have they known' to put you on emergency tax? :chin:
    Yes, ask them or print off one from the link above then fill in your details on the first page and hand that in for your employer to complete the second page.

You should have been asked to complete the P46 before your first pay day so that they officially knew which tax code to put you on (BR is the one for 'emergency tax' - look out for it on your payslip). You will probably find you need to tick Statement A which should result in you being put on 522L which is the normal tax code, meaning you've been paying too much tax for the last few months.
    Ah, okay. Well you're probably not earning enough to pay tax, but it's still worthwhile getting your tax code sorted so that you are taxed correctly if your hours increase or for when you leave so that your P45 shows the correct tax code and you will then start your next employment on the right tax code.

What kind of job is it?
    Just part time work
    Get a P46 and give it your employers and ask them to pass it on the payroll department (Most big companies tend to have it centralised). Once its adjusted you should get the tax back as a rebate on your payslip.

I dont think you should be paying any tax, the quicker you sort this out the better.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I've just had a cheque issued as my place forgot half my wages! Hence a nice chunk of Emergency tax!