Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Finding cheap flights

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm in the process of finding cheap flights. Not sure how though. I've checked all the cheap flight websites which have helped in the past. I went on a trip with my brother and for round trip tickets to Ireland was like $500, and that was at what I would have guessed to be a popular time, St. Patricks day. Now I'm trying to find a flight between the middle of May to the middle of June, and they are all super super expensive! Are there any tricks? Like are there certian days of the week to depart and arrive that would be cheaper? Or is this just a bad time to search since its around the holiday and people are buying tickets for gifts or something?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    might help if you told us from where to where you want to fly.
    Amsterdam. Or somewhere close enough to there that we could catch a train/bus/cab or something to there.
    From where to where?

You haven't said where you start from. You're being very secretive or just plain cryptic - why don't you just spell out what you want

e.g. I'm looking for the cheapest flights from New York to Amsterdam, etc? from Mid May to Mid June.

or

I'm looking for the cheapest flights from Hawaii to Amsterdam, etc? from Mid May to Mid June. - what's the difference - several thousand miles for a start ..

It's very hard to advise you if you won't give complete information. I assume from your use of the Dollar sign you're either in the USA, Canada but then again you could be in Australia for all we know.
    They are cheaper if you stay a saturday night in general.

May and June are expensive as they are in the summer and I think are summer holidays in some countries though possibly not in the netherlands.

Schipol is pretty much THE big international airport there though, but you could also fly to Brussels and get the train - not sure how expensive this would be or somewhere else in europe and get a cheap flight or the train. I would look at Easy Jet and Transavia to see if they can help you - but bear in mind cheapie airlines often don't fly to and from the main airports in a town. So for example i you got a flight to london heathrow you would have to haul your ass accross London to get to stanstead or luton to get a cheap flight from which can be time consuming and expensive.

other than that my only other advice is that your looking so far in advance the prices are still high - often they dont' start getting discounted untill a few months beforehand. So sign up to all the airlines mailing lists to find out when tey have sales.

lastly the $ is at an all time low so even if prices for us in europe are the same for you they will be more expensive.
    Yeah, thats the one thing that sucks about traveling anywhere, such worthless pennies :(

I always thought that booking the flight in advance gets you the best deals, so after I read your post I just had a look at flights in the end of november... $400! I always thought they'd be even more expensive the closer you want to leave. Thanks so much for that!

So hopefully when the time nears I should be able to find something cheaper, do you think it would be a good idea or stupid to book hostels in advance? How far in advance? I've never done any of this before. I'm quite helpless. My brother made all the arangments last time, so I've not the slightest idea what to do!