Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should I say anything?...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...to my neighbours about the fact they leave their kitchen light on all night, every night? It's not like it causes me annoyance, exactly, although it does make my bedroom lighter at night because my bedroom overlooks the back garden and their kitchen's at the back of the house. The main reason it bugs me really is just that it's not very eco-friendly to use that much electricity for no apparent reason. I've been down at various times in the night to go to the bathroom or whatever and the light is always on and nobody's ever in their kitchen. Should I go round and just say something, or keep my beak out of matters that don't concern me?

Random, I know.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    perhaps they have a reason for doing that, like got a puppy that whimpers if you leave it in the dark... i dunno.. there could be a reason, so if you are that bothered by it then you could, 'accidently' bump into one of them and mention it...
    it would be a hard subject to bring up without sounding rude, maybe just pretend its out of concern, act like you dont realise they know the lights on
    The more I think about it the more I'm thinking it'd seem weird for me to mention it - it's not like it's causing any trouble. I reckon they probably do forget it's on, it's just odd that it's every night...but I suppose it's none of my business. For all I know they have energy saving lightbulbs so aren't being too eco-unfriendly...it's just odd.
    We had to leave a light on for our puppy for the first three months that we had him but it was only a small lamp with energy saving lightbulb.

It would really annoy me if there was a light shining into my bedroom at night. When I lived with my mum I had to have a blackout roller blind because of the streetlights and I can't sleep if there is light in the room.

As for saying something, it depends how well you know them, but they'll probably think you're odd. My neighbour has fixed a leaking pipe of ours that was annoying him and it took him three weeks to tell us about it! If he'd mentioned it in passing we would have fixed it ourselves. Neighbours are odd aren't they?!
    If my neighbour came round to explain that leaving the kitchen light on all night wasn't very eco-friendly i'd probably find it - and them - very strange, but would probably start switching it off so they didn't feel the need to come round again :p
    Doofay wrote: »
    If my neighbour came round to explain that leaving the kitchen light on all night wasn't very eco-friendly i'd probably find it - and them - very strange, but would probably start switching it off so they didn't feel the need to come round again :p

Haha, yeah, me too. Maybe she could say it's because it shines in her window and she can't sleep, that sounds less weird to me.
    You're right - if someone came round to my house saying that to me I'd think it was a bit strange. I did think about saying the light was stopping me sleeping, but I didn't want to be a whinging neighbour! They're students I think, but really quiet and polite and bring parcels round for us that the postman has left with them so I'd feel a bit bad complaining about something so trivial.
    if someone came to my door yappin about a kitchen light being left on id tell them to piss off

im sure they're fully aware its left on at night and dont really need you input on it not being very eco-friendly! its them who has to pay the bill anyway

fair point about the light shining into your room but close the curtains/blinds/whatever!
    OK, OK. Point taken.
    We used to deliberately leave the kitchen light on, meant that you weren't going downstairs into a black hole if you needed to go down at night.

Since we've had the dog we leave a lamp on for him, so now turn the big light off.

I wouldn't say anything unless the light coming into your room is bothering you.