Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

McCanns used Madeleine Fund for 2 mortgage payments

The fighting fund set up to help find Madeleine McCann was used by her parents to make two mortgage payments, their spokesman has said.
Clarence Mitchell said: "The fund has always had the ability to assist the family financially if necessary."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7068760.stm

Right or wrong?

I have tried to avoid the case as much as possible but I must say I don't remember ever being told that the Fund was going to be used for anything other than finance the search for the child.

I suspect the money still coming in will decrease dramatically. Then again is not as if it is going to help find the poor child now.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not sure i really see the issue; presumably as they both haven't been working during this time there wasn't an income to pay the bills.

If i found they had a mass of savings somewhere i'd probably think differently.
  • Options
    You can't really complain when you've given money to find a single body (sorry, girl), rather than giving it to a charity that helps thousands of kids a year instead. But the fact that this is even a story just shows the sort of shit they're now having to put up with from the (always whiter than white) media.
  • Options
    It's not really fair as it was made clear it would only be used to help find her, though I can understand why they did it. But many other parents go through this without being dontated millions by the public and earn alot less than they do. If this ever gets solved they should donate the rest to finding other missing children.
  • Options
    Two mortgage payments? And how much does that actually add up to? For example, this morning's edition of the Daily Mail estimates that their mortgage repayments would be around £2000 a month. That's quite a lot of money to find, especially when the two parents aren't working and aren't being paid whilst away. I can understand why they did it, and have little problem with it. The last thing they need is to find themselves homeless at a time like this. (it would be a pretty heartless bank that would repossess their house right now, but since our major banks are cold-blooded monsters, I wouldn't put it past them)

However, they can hardly be accused of not trying to help themselves out here. Gerry McCann is reported to be going back to work next week - the main reason is to get some sense of normality back in their lives, but I'm sure that the wage earned would be a welcome bonus. I wish him well.

I also wish that the vilification of this couple would cease. They're going through hell at the moment. Their daughter's gone missing in a foreign country, after all. Yes, they've made mistakes, but they'll be kicking themselves for the rest of their lives for that. They don't deserve this horrid character assassination that's going on. I hope that the fate of Madeleine McCann comes to light soon - for everyone's sake.
  • Options
    I'm not sure i really see the issue; presumably as they both haven't been working during this time there wasn't an income to pay the bills.

I tend to agree. They can hardly search for their daughter while the house is removed from around them and the family. They are still actively seeking their child and maintaining the high profile.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I also wish that the vilification of this couple would cease.

Which is what this whole story is about...
  • Options
    The fund was there to assist the McCann's in whatever way needed to help get Maddie back. If not having their house taken away from them assists them, then using the £4k is hardly a problem.
  • Options

If i found they had a mass of savings somewhere i'd probably think differently.

I agree.

Although I must say the McCanns have put up with some awful shit in the papers both here and in Spain/ Portugal.
  • Options
    The Guardian says that the website made it clear it was to help the family, and for me that includes not having the family home repossessed.

It's strange, though, how so suddenly the McCanns became the bad guys after Gerry McCann asked the media to leave him alone and was a bit critical of the witch-hunt of Robert Murat.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's strange, though, how so suddenly the McCanns became the bad guys after Gerry McCann asked the media to leave him alone and was a bit critical of the witch-hunt of Robert Murat.
    It's also very strange how the British media feel it justified to attack the way the Portugese media treat the McCanns, yet lay the knife in themselves at almost any opportunity.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    It's also very strange how the British media feel it justified to attack the way the Portugese media treat the McCanns, yet lay the knife in themselves at almost any opportunity.
    Quite.