Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

British football team

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Would you support a one-off British team being put together for the Olympics in 2012?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes. I find the whole English/Scottish/Welsh tribalism a little tiresome sometimes.
    Why not, it will be mainly Englishmen ;)
    Why not, it will be mainly Englishmen ;)

Not if McLaren is still in charge of England it won't. I'd want Mark Hughes as the manager though, no doubt.
    Nope, you just know that they'd put some moron like Venables in charge that'd put Robinson in ahead of Craig Gordon, Fat Frank in ahead of Barry Ferguson and shite like Defoe/Nugent ahead of McFadden and Bellamy.

McLeish would be my shout to be manager, unsuprisingly. Or Gordon Strachan, just for a laugh.
    Also, isn't there a European Championship in 2012?

Burn out would be a problem, but then again it might be like this time when no home nations qualify?
    I do like the seperate England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland teams, but as we are officially the United Kingdom then I don't see why we shouldn't have a British team aswell.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    as we are officially the United Kingdom then I don't see why we shouldn't have a British team aswell.

Because those two are different states. UK includes Northern Ireland, GB doesn't. :p

As for who I would have then yeah, I'd have Gordon ahead of Robbo at the moment, but Ferguson would only be a squad player, Bellamy & McFadden would be on the bench at best.

Also, doesn't the team have to be mainly u-21s?
    As for who I would have then yeah, I'd have Gordon ahead of Robbo at the moment, but Ferguson would only be a squad player, Bellamy & McFadden would be on the bench at best.?

Gordon

Richards
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    A Cole

J Cole
    Ferguson
    Gerrard
    Beckham

McFadden
    Rooney

On paper you might have a defence for having less Scots, but how many times have the English players you might suggest really stepped up to the plate and showed they can do it at international level against really decent teams?

I'm no fan of Ferguson normally, but I know who I'd be relying on to perform in a big game between him and Fat Frank. I'd even suggest Fletcher ahead of him...
    Also, doesn't the team have to be mainly u-21s?

Under 23's I think.

Tbh it's never going to happen. Who really watches the Olympics for the football anyway?
    You'd have McFadden (who starts on the bench for Scotland) ahead of Owen (who has scored 40-odd goals for England)?

Beckham would struggle to get into my squad and I'd have Giggs instead of Cole, if he was interested...
    Owen has a slightly better strike rate than McFadden, but a lot of McFadden's caps have been off the bench (and he's also been used wide on the left).

But he's still scored against France, Spain, Holland, Ukraine etc in games where Scotland have hardly got near the opposition goal whereas Owen nowadays maybe needs three or four chances to get a goal.

He's more able to go past players, has a better left peg and is far more mobile than Owen is IMO.
    You do realise that all these players will be about 85 by the Olympics don't you?

Also, the Scottish, Irish and Welsh FAs are against it. Dunno about the English FA. Shame, because it could be good as a one-off at home.
    The other home nation FAs are opposed to it because they don't trust FIFA. FIFA have said a GB football team wouldn't affect the FAs, but FIFA said that the Oceania confederation would get a spot in the World Cup and then didn't because the Africans whinged.

Which is the problem. Most of the African FAs don't see why the UK has four different teams, and want us to have one team for our country. FIFA always listen to the Africans because the Africans give good bribe.

For that reason I'm against an Olympics team.

Also, it's pointless drawing a team up, unless you're really hot on schoolboy football, because it has to be mostly under 23.
    :yes: I would