Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is it depression, anxiety, stress? Help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I've never posted anything like this before-which obviously shows that I'm admitting that I know that something is wrong.

I think that I may suffer from anxiety, depression or stress-or are they all the same thing?

I am a working mum with all the regular stresses that come with it. I do have a fairly fast-paced job, but I know that there are other mum's out there doing the same or even more. I changed jobs just over a year ago believing that my old job was the route of my problems, but a year on I feel just the same.

Ever since I can remember I have been very insecure, especially when it has come to friends and relationships, I have also always been a worrier regardless of what has been happening at any particular time.

Deep down I know that I do my best at work and with my home-life, but I can't stop getting worked up about everything. I cry on average 3 or 4 times every week, struggle to sleep and get headaches and back/shoulder pain quite alot. I worry about everything, this could be issues at work or something simple, for example for the past week I have had sleepless nights as I can't get my daughter a new winter coat in her size! I know that this is ridiculous but can't stop getting worked up about it.

Another issue of mine is feeling paranoid about what others think of me, both people at work and friends. I get hurt very easily by the most simple of things, for example if I called a friend and they didn't answer I would worry for the whole evening that they were avoiding me or didn't like me anymore.

Is there anyone else who suffers like this? Should I go to my GP, find a councillor? My mum has a history of depression and anxiety and now in her mid 40's she has no life and even finds it hard to leave the house, I'm so scared that this could be me... :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hi,

you say there is a history of depression, etc in your family so i can understand your concern. my OPINION is that you should see your doctor about this as you have identified you are crying alot and feeling stressed. obvoiusly, its not my place to tell you, you are suffering with depression though. i defently think its worth asking your doc for talkiing therapy, like a councillour as anti-depressants alone cannot solve the problem. you have aknowledged there is a problem and i hope with seeing someone that you can get to the root of it.

take care

amy x
    I agree with barbie, you sound like you might be depressed-its worth going to see your GP, it really sounds like you need some extra support at the moment.
    good luck
    x
    Thank you. I called to make an appointment today. x
  • C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hi Gemki,

Identifying why you’re constantly feeling worried about things and find yourself getting worked up easily is a great starting point, so you’ve made a really good move booking an appointment with your doctor. Anxiety, depression, and stress are all psychological conditions that are caused by different things, such as experiences in people lives. Some people are more prone to these than others and if you don’t treat them they can seriously affect your life.

Try and be positive about your condition and take one day at a time, it’s not your fault you’re feeling this way and you shouldn’t beat yourself up about it. Try to find some time to relax on your own. Listen to music or read a book. This will help you feel calmer and put your problems into context. If you can, talk to friends or family about your worries so that they can help you and put your mind at ease. You can also get support from online services and helplines. SupportLine is a really good service that provides confidential support to young adults.

After speaking to your doctor he may suggest a number of treatments. He may recommend that you visit a psychotherapist, or prescribe you medication such as antidepressants or beta blockers.

There are a few really good articles on TheSite.org that I think you’d find helpful. Check out the ones on coping with anxiety and stress, and understanding depression.

Hope this helps. :thumb: