Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stargalaxy, university and me.

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Hello there everyone. I’m dreading the reaction to what I’m about to say, but here goes.

Way back in mid-September, I was starting out university life in Manchester. Some of you have noticed that I’ve been away from the boards since then. I’ve just been getting on with things. You’ll be ecstatic/glad/indifferent/horrified (please delete as applicable) to discover I haven’t forgotten about TheSite. Also, despite the countless scare stories I’d heard before setting foot there, I’ve not been mugged either. (Mind you, half of Manchester’s homeless population seems to have asked me for money. They’re usually to be found next to cash machines at night, the crafty sods. And just about every weekend, I’ve noticed into homeless drunks begging me for change on Oxford Road. They always bloody ask me. Why? Do the buggers see pound signs printed on my forehead or something? And why is it they’re only on Oxford Road at the weekend? I never see them on weekdays. Is there something they’re not telling us?)

So anyway, I’ve got to tell TheSite about a decision I’ve reached. Some things have gone very well since I started. Firstly, isn’t Manchester brilliant? I’ve fallen in love with the place. I think this city is fantastic, and easily the best UK city I’ve visited. As someone who’s worked on a holiday park, I’ve always liked Mancunians, but I was still surprised. To a country bumpkin like me, the city was a real eye-opener. It’s no mystery why the place is so popular with students. It’s definitely the right place for me. Secondly, I’m surprised by just how good MMU actually is. I must admit I was having doubts about the quality of the university when I arrived, but some “vigorous” “debate” with some lecturers convinced me otherwise. Thirdly, I’ve met quite a few good people here, and I’ve liked everyone I’ve met. Except my own flatmates, who are total wankers, but I digress. Oh, and one person who regularly calls me thinks I’m developing a Mancunian accent. Is that good? You can judge!

However... not everything has gone so well. Unfortunately, not everything has gone well. For a couple of reasons, my start at university proved to be far from smooth. For example, my ID card wasn’t ready on time, meaning I wasn’t allowed entry to most Freshers events. By the end of the second week, everything was going quite nicely. During this month, several things have happened in my private life, which have proved very difficult to deal with. One event was the sudden death of a very close friend four weeks ago. That has hit me especially badly. There are also other ongoing events, which I’m not prepared to discuss. With all this going on, it’s been seriously affecting my ability to concentrate on my studies. I’ve spoken to the university about this in detail, and we’ve come to a mutual agreement it would be best for me to defer my place there. In other words, restart at MMU next year. Therefore, I’ve now gone home for the time being.

It’s been an incredibly difficult decision to take. The friend who died was extremely proud to see me going to university, for example. By reaching this decision, I feel I’m letting him down, in a sense. I’m well aware of the consequences of my decision, least of all financially, but it’s been made now. The plan now, aside from dealing with the aforementioned problems, is to sign on and look for a job. I’ll take almost anything, as I need the money. Besides, whatever I do attempt in the future, I’m going to need money to do it. It’s far from an ideal situation, but I have to make the best of it.

I know I’ll be back at MMU next year – that much is for certain. My short time there has left me filled with ideas about what I’m going to do with my future, some of which may surprise you! I know there are people (and probably more of them now) who think I can’t do it. Excellent – that just spurs me on more, even though I sometimes worry I’ll be picking up my pension book on graduation day too. I’m going to get that degree, one way or another. Feel free to comment/question/criticise/flame/the usual routine. Also, you can ask questions, but just bear in mind I’m not prepared to reveal everything about the circumstances at the moment.

Thank you. xx
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    really sounds interesting, One of my friends is thinking about going to manc uni, would you recomend it??
    it's a shame you've deferred your place but it's good that you're going back next year, hope everything gets better for you
    really sounds interesting, One of my friends is thinking about going to manc uni, would you recomend it??
    I saw your original comment, you cheeky sod. :p

I don't know about the University of Manchester, as I was at the Manchester Metropolitan University. However, my sister did apply for Manc Uni, said she was impressed by what she saw, but decided against in the end. Fancied being closer to home.
    sad to hear about your loss stargalaxy, but good that you're enjoying uni and have a plan in mind. I know before you weren't sure what was right for you.

Take it easy in the meantime, and catch some sun :cool:
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I saw your original comment, you cheeky sod. :p

I don't know about the University of Manchester, as I was at the Manchester Metropolitan University. However, my sister did apply for Manc Uni, said she was impressed by what she saw, but decided against in the end. Fancied being closer to home.

Blame ****** and ******
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Take it easy in the meantime, and catch some sun :cool:
    Catch some sun? I live in Wales. The last time Wales had any sunshine, Julius Caesar was still alive.
    I'm sorry for your loss SG.
    Sorry about your friend.

Manchester is a fantastic city to live in, isn't it :D
    Defferring is a really hard thing to do, I know, I ended up doing it last year. BUT being back this year under much better circumstances I am very glad I did it. It doesn't make you a failure at all, and don't ever tell yourself that. On the contrary it shows a level of maturity in dealing with circumstances and shows tha fantastic relationship you must have developed with the university.

By all means sign on and look for a job on the any job will do front, but also have a go at looking for something more specific.

You said that your time in Manchester has given you new ideas/aspirations, so while the priority is any job will do, keep looking for something relevent that will gain you skills for the future too.
    sorry to hear about your friend.
    Maybe a year out is what you need.
    On the contrary it shows a level of maturity in dealing with circumstances and shows tha fantastic relationship you must have developed with the university.
    The relationship's been an interesting one. I must admit when I first came to the university, I had serious doubts. Their prospectus said they had over 34,000 students studying there, making it one of the biggest universities in the UK. I thought that, with so many students, the lecturers couldn't give a crap about individual students. I actually put that point to one of them, and he launched into a very staunch defence. The debate that followed was "vigorous", to say the least. But it certainly proved my doubts to be unfounded! I've also found most of the staff quite approachable.
    You said that your time in Manchester has given you new ideas/aspirations, so while the priority is any job will do, keep looking for something relevent that will gain you skills for the future too.
    Volunteering is one of those things I've got interested in, all of a sudden. I don't know why. When it was suggested to me a few years ago, I laughed it off. What's changed, I don't know.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I am sorry to hear about your friend, love.

You will eventually get your degree I am sure, but do me a favour, and go and get a different job, like a 9 to 5 kinda thing, and get some decent money behind you before 3rd time lucky!
    Bunnie wrote: »
    You will eventually get your degree I am sure, but do me a favour, and go and get a different job, like a 9 to 5 kinda thing, and get some decent money behind you...
    Please, not a nine-to-five job. I hate working those hours. For me, the more hours, the better. I used to work six days per week at the arcade, and I would have no problem doing that again. I wouldn't mind working different hours on different days. I've seen one or two jobs that would suit me perfectly as such, and have applied for them. And the salaries are half decent too!