Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Family problems- advice please!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone who's been through professional counselling with family members could give me a bit of advice and tell me how helpful they thought it was.

I'm 22 and studying (postgrad) but still living at home until I can afford to move out, and my sister's 18 and doing her A levels. We've never had serious problems getting on as a family (my parents are still together so there are 4 of us at home) until quite recently.

In the last couple of years, we've started bickering more than usual and rowing in a serious way, to the point where every second spent at home is stressful, and the problems aren't even substantial, it's just the way we deal with them and the way we argue. My mum in particular seems hugely unhappy and it's coming out in the way she treats the rest of us, which is pretty badly. I'm not exaggerating when I say I think she's developing some sort of mental problem, and I don't think it's just depression, as I have a bit of experience of that from friends.

So anyway to cut to the chase (thanks for reading, if you still are!), as a family I think we have problems of communication and mutual respect that just won't be solved without seeing a counsellor. But

1) I have no idea how to go about getting counselling - any tips?!

and

2) I'm not sure how useful it is, and whether it's worth the hassle, or whether I should just grin and bear it til I move away from home, since my sister's going away to uni next summer anyway and hopefully my parents will do a bit better on their own.....

Any replies hugely appreciated, thank you, especially from anyone who has experience of getting professional help.

Thanks x

Comments

• Options
    I went to a few councilling sessions and didn't find it helped at all sorry. But since its so popular i imagine its not a lost cause.
    (I'm not from england so correct me if im wrong)Often councillers are appointed by doctors so if you go to your doctor and ask for help then they should be able to refer you to someone. Or if you call one of those free helplines and ask for government subsidised councilling then they should be able to refer you to somebody.
  • Options
    Hiya
    How about trying a mediation service?? or when things are ok with you and your ma, how about asking her if she feels unhappy, because you are worried aobut her? Something like that maybe?
    good luck!