Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A Vision of Students Today

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o

Quite scarey to see a room that big - my uni was iccle and only 30 or so to a class - but by the final year it had doubled.

We knew our teachers so well we would invite the ones we liked back to the halls for curry night and they knew all of our names..
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    that's in america, dunno how different their unis are though
  • Options
    At my old uni my cohort had 200 people in it. So for every lecture we had to sit in big theatres like that. You could never hear anything! But was a good place to have a sleep as the tutors couldn't see you right at the back ;) . At my new uni the groups alot smaller theres just 20 of us so we have lectures in much smaller rooms, which is better!
  • Options
    My parents, and now my sister goes to a school like that. I think my brothers may have been that way too. A huge public university. The school my brother went to was a large university in a small town. The population literally more than doubled when school was in session. I would hate it. When I went to a 2 year college some classes had like 50 people in and I thought that was too much.

The school I go to now is very personalized with tiny classesOn average, most my classes have 8/10 people in them (though I'm guessing my major isn't a very popular one at the school, and I do go to just the satalite campus). I love it. The professors know your name, they know your weaknesses and strengths. ALl of them thus far offer one on one after/before class help and you can email them any time. One professor I have now even suggests you email him with example exam answers and any questions regarding anything so he can help you out. And I'd never taken one of those scan tron exams since I've been there! I'd never want to go to a huge school like the one shown.
  • Options
    There's a few lecture theatres in my uni that are that size.
  • Options
    Same here, that's not massive. We had 300 people in our first lecture.
  • Options
    we could fit about a 150 - 200 in our biggest lecture theatre but ive yet to attend one of that size, at most we have groups of 50 or so and thats because i take film and we have group screenings.

its an interesting little film but i think that it bears little relevance to the british uni system. yes the groups are big i guess but not so big that your lost in the system like the film seems to suggest.

and to the first poster, its the same here. all my tutors know me and i would happily see them outside of class. i actually think its kinda cool to spend time hanging out with "proffesionals" as it were....but i could just be a huge dork. lol
  • Options
    my lectures are like that (not so good if you have an anxiety disorder) but my seminars have about 16 people in at most.
  • Options
    All of my lectures are of that size, probably about 100+ people in there. As for seminars there's only about 10-15.
  • Options
    I remember my first lecture of my 1st year had well over 300 people in it...it was huge! Now they are down to about 50...it doesn't really bother me either way to be honest! :)
  • Options
    At leeds uni I had most of my lectures in huge theatres like that. But we still had a tutorial for every module which had about 8-20 people in so I don't see the problem!
  • Options
    My course is really small, and it was only in the first year when we had some lectures with all the French and German students and some philosophy students that we used the lecture hall that big. The average size of my class is about 35, but then I do go to a small uni.

Nobody takes laptops to lectures either!

Oh and I spend :
    20 hours a week at work
    7 hours a week in lectures
    8 hours commuting
    3 hours in the gym
    not enough hours studying
    I read about 30% of the reading given to me
    I enjoy uni about 20%.