Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cited As A Witness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm hoping I can get some advice to ease my mind & concerns with the following.

I work in retail. A guy attempted to steal from us and I was one of two people who witnessed this. I am one of two people who are cited as a witness to this. It wasn't a straightforward theft but rather an attempted deceit to obtain the goods. That is my explanation of it anyway I might not be explaining it right.

I've worked in retail 6 years now and fortunately have only ever had to attend a Sheriff Court once in the passed and in that case the person didn't turn up and we were told to leave.

My main concern is my memory from the occasion, and so my main question is am I allowed access to my witness statement I gave to the police officer at the time ? I have a second reason for asking this also which I won't mention at the moment.

Another question I have is what is the correct dress code to wear ? The booklet I was mailed with the citation as I recall it didn't mention anything about dress code and as I cannot locate it at the moment I can't double check.

I'm not one for worrying or feeling nervous but I have to admit this whole thing with it being only days away is a concern for me, it really is worrying me.

Just looking for a bit of reassurance & advice really as I said at the top. Thanks :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Scottish law etc is slightly different from English, and I'm no expert on that, but can help on the dress code front.

You're not being accused of something so you don't need to try and impress or anything, but to fit in with the relatively formal atmosphere of a court you'd probably be best in something relatively smart. Shirt and neat trousers kind of thing if you're a guy.
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Apologies as this is going to be of now help what so ever but -

low fat egg :lol::lol:

Say it at the most random time why don't you ! :lol:

Could I wear jeans and a shirt ? I don't own trousers as it's impossible to really find a pair that fit. As for shoes that's something else I don't own anymore and don't want to buy a pair just for this purpose.
    I would suggest dressing smartly, but don't worry too much. Trousers and a shirt would be fine. There's no dress code exactly, beyond not dressing offensively, but you will find it more comfortable if you're a bit smarter.

Certainly in England you're not allowed to read your statement before you go into the Court.
    Kermit wrote: »

Certainly in England you're not allowed to read your statement before you go into the Court.

I was always told you could, maybe not in the actual courthouse but you are allowed to see the statement beforehand to remind yourself of the facts of the case. Some cases can be many months after the event and can be quite complicated, to read your statement again before the trial is fairly commonplace.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I was always told you could, maybe not in the actual courthouse but you are allowed to see the statement beforehand to remind yourself of the facts of the case. Some cases can be many months after the event and can be quite complicated, to read your statement again before the trial is fairly commonplace.

was told myself i could look over a statement beforehand .. but then i live in northern ireland so the laws may differ yet again :thumb:
    After all my worrying I went into work today to find a letter saying he plead guilty and it was cancelled. How relieved I was !

It'll happen one day though, I'll eventually have be cited as a witness and have to turn up.

Thanks for the information though everyone :)