Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Working over Christmas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone, or has anyone worked at Christmas?

Do you get paid extra?

I'm thinking of applying for work at a hotel just for the few days over Christmas. I could do with the money, and as my parents have divorced this year and sold the family home, it's not as though I will be missing out on a proper Christmas.

Comments

• Options
    most places will pay double time, maybe even triple if you are lucky.

thats for xmas day. xmas eve is just a normal day this year :(
  • Options
    I think it depends where you are working; most places, if you're employed just to work over Christmas, then you won't get extra pay as you're on a christmas contract. However saying that when I was a Christmas temp at Debenhams we got paid triple time for working boxing day and new years day, so it does just depend.
  • Options
    standard pay for me, extra day holiday
  • Options
    There are some flights on Christmas day.
  • Options
    i am working over x-mas, we get double pay on x-mas day and new years day but thats it
  • Options
    Some places get extra, some places don't. GWST, when she was working for NHS Direct, got a whopping #15 extra for working a 10-hour shift on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    So I think overall the answer is "it depends". Check what you would be contracted for.
  • Options
    One of the bars I worked paid double on christmas type days, you could try that kind of place- bar, waitress, and like you say- hotel chambermaids etc.
  • Options
    I'm not, because Morrison's (and Co-op, when I worked there) closed for Christmas Day and Boxing Day. These are the only days they close for, which is good for me because it means I can go home for Christmas. Can't wait :)
  • Options
    I'd get triple time for working christmas day, tbh i'd rather not though.
  • Options
    I've usually worked around the holidays and the pay isn't any better unless you're actually working on a holiday during 'holiday hours'.

But I've done it because in the past I've had free time and a want for money. This time around I'm supposed to be working the 24th, 25th and 26th for no pay. :lol:
  • Options
    It depend on your contract. I used to the odd day over Xmas/New Year and get paid overtime or have the time off in-leu.

Looks like I might have to work the non-bank holiday days this year as three out of the five people on my team have booked holidays. I dont mind, I could do with working and then using my holiday allowance another time.