Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Verbal agreements / contracts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm asking on behalf of a friend.

My friend got married a couple of weeks ago. About a week before the wedding she went to pay the balance for the venue hire, food etc and was asked what food she would like for her evening party buffet. She stated - verbally - that she wanted a platter of cheeses, with crackers and grapes, quiches, chicken goujons and a carrot, pepper and cucumber crudité platter. She was then quoted a price per head for 100 guests, which she paid. My friend described wanting a 'cheeseboard' effect with the cheeses. The only part of the day which wasn't written about in the contract was the food for the evening buffet, but she assumed that since the manager agreed to her verbal request that it was what she would get.

The wedding day arrived and everything went smoothly. Everything else she had paid for was just what she has asked and paid for. The evening buffet was opened and there was: three bowls of chedder cheese cubes, three bowls of grapes, two bowls of chicken goujons and three small plates of traingle cut tuna sandwiches. The carrot, pepper and cucumber crudité platter was HUGE but the vegetables themselves were kind of soggy... not very crisp or fresh.

My friend ignored the fact that there wasn't enough food for 50 people, let alone 100 people as she didn't want to make a scene. There wasn't a plethora of different cheeses and there wasn't any crackers or quiche. There were sandwiches which weren't asked for and the vegetables were poor.

The venue have since called up my friend, who had no intention of complaining because she didn't want anything to do with them again, and asked for another £112 because they'd miscalculated some of the costs. My friend then told the manager how uphappy she was with the buffet but her comment was completely ignored and the manger simply stated she would send her the bill for the remainder.

Ok, I guess my point, after this rather long ramble is... does this constitute the breaking of a verbal contract or agreement? If so, what can she do? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions about how she should proceed?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Unless there is the womans signature on a piece of paper promising to pay the money my inclination would be to tell them to bugger off.
    Shows the importance of doing a written contract for something as important as a wedding.
    I'd refuse to pay the remainder, saying that what they gave you wasn't what you asked for, let them chase it.
    Two can play at that game, make sure that your friend doesn't admit any liability, and let them prove that your friend agreed to pay the amount. Without an agreement they will find it hard.