Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Appealing a parking ticket

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Doofay, not all bikes need to be chained to something, it depends on the size. My dad's FJR1300 is barely moveable even by him so he just uses a heavy duty bike chain. My boyfriend's smaller Honda needs to be chained up.

Exactly. My scooter weighs around 100KG, so it could be lifted up quite easily if it was only locked to itself. It NEEDS to be locked to something secure.
    Doofay wrote: »
    If you can't see why there is a point to locking it to the ground, then I would summise that you lack in intelligence. Have you actually seen a bike chain before? Do you think a set of bolt cutters would cut one? You'd either be working at it for quite a while or would need an angle grinder - this would either act as a deterrent or increase the time it would take them to steal it, increasing the chance of the theives being caught.

Of course I've seen a bike chain. In fact, I've seen plenty. On bikes that aren't connected to stuff. And, remarkably it would appear, haven't been nicked either.
    Mist wrote: »
    Of course I've seen a bike chain. In fact, I've seen plenty. On bikes that aren't connected to stuff. And, remarkably it would appear, haven't been nicked either.

Perhaps the bikes in question couldn't simply be lifted into the back of a van to be stolen and the bike chain on the bikes you've seen is to stop someone wheeling it away, rather than lifting it like in the youtube video.
    Mist wrote: »
    Why is that a relevant point? I see plenty of people walking around with mobile phones which haven't been nicked, yet mobile phone theft is a huge problem in this country?