Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Going Abroad for 2 to 3 months to Thailand

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Any advice for an extended trip abroad?

I might be going to Thailand on a volunteer project - not sure as yet if it will happen as there is an interview process to go through. (it's not one of those things where you pay to volunteer)

Food and Accommodation will be provided. And it would be for 2 to 3 months.

I'm thinking if I'm going that far I might as well book a flight to Melbourne to see friends that have just moved out there as well before flying back to the UK.

Any idea if it's cheaper to book from here or go to Thailand and book there?

Also anyone know anything about VISA's for that long, any shots you need, etc

The project is to help plan the future of an international organisation and get involved in planning world wide events, etc.

Also anyone got any recommendations of where to stay?

The organisation is still looking for a suitable house for like 16 to 20 people
- with rock solid internet connection for 4 months beginning in December.

As far as I know it can be anywhere in Thailand, as long as it's safe, good internet and good electricity supply. If anyone has suggestions I'll be happy to pass along the info.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm going to Thailand for 2 months in January.
    The longest you can have a tourist visa for is 2 months, so if you were there for 3 months then you'd have to apply for another visa over there. I'm not sure about a working visa though.

Which area's of Thailand were you thinking about? Each part of Thailand is very different and they all have their own qualities.
    It depends really if you would prefer paradise beaches and islands or jungle's and rural towns.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Which area's of Thailand were you thinking about? Each part of Thailand is very different and they all have their own qualities.
    It depends really if you would prefer paradise beaches and islands or jungle's and rural towns.

I have no idea .. some people in the USA are organising everything and they have local scouts looking for a place big enough.. I don't think they really mind where it's based. But guess it has to be safe, secure, good electricity and internet and relaxing and pretty I guess cos they want people to enjoy themselves when they're not working.

The work is mainly project planning, creating documents, strategy, etc- We're expected to take our laptops with us, etc.