Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lewis blows it...or does he?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It will be points off for the constructors. usually is with this "crime"...
    Kimi's fine *phew*
    What a right mess that race was - Shame but Lewis is well on his way to being the highest paid driver in history - probably be the highest paid British Sports Star I'm sure within 3 to 4 years time.
    Was a shame he lost, but it's all a learning curb for the young man and to be honest, Kimi was the best driver for the 2nd half of the season where it mattered. Should Alonso leave Mclaren though, and Hamilton become their No.1 driver, I can see him just blowing all opposition away next year. The kid is special, and I mean special on the same sort of level as Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher and Roger Federer...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    It will be points off for the constructors. usually is with this "crime"...

Which would be fair. Mclaren were punished earlier in the season but their drivers wern't. Wouldn't have beena good way for Hamilton to win either.

At least Alonso didn't win it.
    Weekender Offender 
    I think Alonso sumed this one up quite rightly by saying that he would be embarassed if Hamilton were to win in this manner. Noone would want to be world champion by some technicality, they'd want to win it fair and square, outright, racing.

Lewis came second in a driver's championship that was actually a close finish for a change, this in his first year of F1, which is amazing. He'll be world champion next year or the year after, assuming the car he drives is good enough.
    I think the cars should be disqualified, but Hamilton shouldn't win the title like this.

I think Hamilton's going to be another Mansell, though. Good, but always the bridesmaid.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I am actually pleased that neither McClaren driver won it, tbh. Well done Kimi :thumb:
    I am actually pleased that neither McClaren driver won it, tbh. Well done Kimi :thumb:
    Why?
    English Team with an English driver, why would you want ferrari, no matter whats got on, this is an amazing young English talent coming through so don't understand why you wouldn't support him!!
    Do you support the Aussies at Cricket? The South Africans at Rugby? Brazil at Football? If so then I understand why!!
    McLaren are English? Since when? For a long time their major shareholders were Tag Heuer and Mercedes Benz.
    Why?
    English Team with an English driver, why would you want ferrari, no matter whats got on, this is an amazing young English talent coming through so don't understand why you wouldn't support him!!

Littlemissy isn't English though :confused:

I don't especially like him, but not as much as I don't like Coulthard who going by your logic I should love?
    Kermit wrote: »
    McLaren are English? Since when? For a long time their major shareholders were Tag Heuer and Mercedes Benz.

By that definition half of English football isn't English. At least the McLaren team are English.
    Well their based in England, or is Surrey not England now??
    Littlemissy isn't English though
    Well sorry for not knowing the nationality of a random person on an internet discussion board, FFS, it says sheffield on her profile so forgive me for thinking she was English!!
    I don't especially like him, but not as much as I don't like Coulthard who going by your logic I should love?
    If your English I don't see why you wouldn't support Hamilton, he's one of the best talents to come out of this country for a very long time and the whole country should get behind him!!

If Scotland get to the Euro's are you going to support Croatia??
    Well sorry for not knowing the nationality of a random person on an internet discussion board, FFS, it says sheffield on her profile so forgive me for thinking she was English!!

Apology accepted, just don't do it again.
    If your English I don't see why you wouldn't support Hamilton, he's one of the best talents to come out of this country for a very long time and the whole country should get behind him!!

You can't try and force people to support somebody, maybe some people just don't like his personality?
    If Scotland get to the Euro's are you going to support Croatia??

Aye, because that's exactly the same thing.
    By that definition half of English football isn't English.

Anyone who says Arsenal or Man Utd are English are having a laugh.
    Arsenal are English-owned.
    Arsenal are English-owned.

i think you mean majority owned, and not for long i'll bet...
    McClaren are clutching at straws - HOWEVER I have noticed my own car drives a lot faster on a cold winter day and can only put this down to the fuel being colder (although maybe it's also the cold, more dense air as well?), which is the same thing that has happened in Brazil. In my own car I can certainly feel the speed difference

And I'm thinking if I can feel the difference cold fuel makes in my little car then to an F1 car it could make a HUGE difference and worthy of penalty. Although I do think drivers should lose points and not just the constructors, simply because if they were on the same fuel as everyone else their cars would have been slower and they'd most likely have finished further down the grid.
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    You can't try and force people to support somebody, maybe some people just don't like his personality?
    Who's trying to force anyone? I was simply asking why?

But IMO only a pathetic saddo wouldn't like his personality, he's humble in victory and defeat, he doesn't mince his words, speaks straight down the line honesty, he's a highly focused and motivated individual, all them are excellent personality traits and only the people who are jealous of such traits wouldn't like him!
    But...its mainly to do with what he's doing on the track, he's and awesome driver, he drives like no-one else on the F1 circuit, he's fast, he's exciting, he's courageous and performs over-taking manourves like no-one else in present day F1!! He's brought excitement back to F1 when it was starting to become a little boring, so forgive me if I don't understand if an English person doesn't support him!!
    I wouldn't say he was that humble or generous, certainly the way he treated Alonso at Budapest was pretty shoddy, and he's never been shy to say how wonderful he is.

He's English but that isn't enough to say he's wonderful. Like Mansell, he comes across to me as very good at what he does, but a little bit of a nob. Which is what makes him win.
    I am actually pleased that neither McClaren driver won it, tbh.
    Shame though that it had to be a driver from Ferrari, the most despicable team in F1 history, that won it.
    Sorta feel sorry for the chap, he's been the most consistent driver all year.

I support Ferrari so I'm happy Kimi won it! :)
    I wouldn't say he was that humble or generous, certainly the way he treated Alonso at Budapest was pretty shoddy, and he's never been shy to say how wonderful he is.
    When he's won he's being humble in victory, always praising other drivers contributions, when he's lost he's blamed himself and not put the blame elsewhere, what more do you want, some people I just don't get!!

I'm sure you make stuff up half the time about everything you discuss, I can't remember him saying anything about "how wonderful he is", he's a highly motivated and talented individual and to get the best out of someone with so much talent they have to have confident in their ability. JUST because he's confident in what he's doing doesn't mean hes saying "how wonderful he is".

Don't know if you saw the program on Sunday about him?? Maybe that would have wedged open your welded shut blinker eyes to see actually who Lewis is and a bit of an insight into his personality and how a lad like thats brain works!
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Sorta feel sorry for the chap, he's been the most consistent driver all year.

I feel sorry for him, but Raikkonen was the better driver, winning more races.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Why?
    Do you support the Aussies at Cricket? The South Africans at Rugby? Brazil at Football? If so then I understand why!!

I don't actually care if he is English, Jamaican or Swahili. I don't like the way that McClaren conducted this season with the whole Hamilton / Alonso fiasco. A lot of dirty laundry was aired on both sides. Yes, it will be nice to see a British driver do well on the F1 circuit and I do look forward to him winning the title in the future, but I think that Raikkonen deserved it more than the bickering children at McClaren.
    Yes, it will be nice to see a British driver do well on the F1 circuit

except if it's cuntyballs jenson button.
    I don't go in for the whole British = nice thing, Hamilton is already a master at playing the F1 politics games which you need to be successful. He has always been very determined and single-minded about his sport, and the way he twisted the knife against Alonso in public really was quite distasteful to watch.

He is very very talented, and he has the right mental attitude to do well, but I really wouldn't say he was a nice person. Nice people rarely win in such a hostile atmosphere as F1, which is why all the top F1 drivers are all really very selfish and self-centred.

I can't think of an F1 world champion in the last 30 years who could be classed as being "nice". Damon Hill and Keke Rosberg are probably the closest.
    well he's off to Switzerland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7068001.stm

Although I recon more for tax reason then anything else - I don't believe the "I'm leaving cos I'm hounded in the UK too much line" - the amount of money he's set to make he can but a huge house with big gates.
    Of course. The boy is learning the tricks of the trade pretty fast.

On another matter, is there anyone else with half a chance for this year's British Personality of the Year award? It must be as good as his surely...
    I assume you mean SPORT'S personalty - well no one else with such a good chance. I mean David Beckham has to have the least personality of any sports star out there.

BTW anyone ever heard of Lewis Hamilton before this year?

I never heard of the guy until he started in F1.