Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Newbie to the LDR!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I've just recently came back from a 4 week volunteer trip to New Zealand. Amazing times and amazing people. One person in particular, lets call her P. She goes to Uni in Newcastle, so is there most of the year. As you can see, I live in Glasgow.

The thing is, we both got to know each other on the 4 week volunteer trip, so we managed to get very close. We both care for each other more than words can describe, and have both expressed our feelings for one another to each other. I went to see her in Newcastle about 2 weeks after we got back from New Zealand... tickets cost about £21 return, which she paid as a birthday present.

I stayed for a week and we both had an amazing time, and our relationship was built upon even more so during this week.

The thing is I don't have a jon at the moment (working towards getting one) and I've started my second year of Uni, she is in her 4th year.

She is going to try come up here early October, me going down there late October (Haloween), and then her coming up here for November and hopefully New Years.

I'm 20 and she is 21 if that helps. Basically all I want is some input from those who have experienced LDR's. The journey between Newcastle and Glasgow is only about 2 hours, roughly, so not that big a deal. But any input is welcome. Advice in particular. Because I reeeeeeeeeally like this girl, possibly love her. And I know that she feels the same about me. So is it possible? Will it actually work out between us?

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Options
    Newcastle to Glasgow is no big deal whatsoever, less than 2hr commute, you can spend alternate weekends at each other's. It's also very cheap - £21 return is nothing if you get a p/t job. I think LDRs only become problematic when you can't see each other so often eg every weekend is ruled out because one of you's busy / elsewhere / you can't stay over, and the commute is too much a hassle ie Scotland/London would eat into those weekends bigtime. Newcastle/Glasgow totally fine. :thumb:
  • Options
    TBH whilst you're studying a long distance relationship might be better than an intense all the time. You can develop yourself up at uni and explore your own personality / interests rather than being stuck together.
  • Options
    IMO, Glasgow - Newcastle is not very far, so I'm sure you'll have enough time for each other :) Your post doesn't say anything about her future plans, so you might want to find out if she wants to stay in Britain after her 4th year or return back to new zealand. I'd definitely have a chat about that, perhaps just now in the beginning of the dating phase, but wouldn't wait too long.

As to giving concrete advices, the most important is to stay in "sync", try to have some sort of communication everyday. Use phone, email, msn etc... Try to sort out trips to see each other just after you've said goodbye, then you will quickly have another meeting to look forward to.
  • Options
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Newcastle to Glasgow is no big deal whatsoever, less than 2hr commute, you can spend alternate weekends at each other's. It's also very cheap - £21 return is nothing if you get a p/t job.

:no:

I find that a bit flippant and insulting to be honest, almost like you're saying the OP has no reason to be concerned.

Anyway...my boyfriend lives in London and I'm in the North-East and it is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life but I don't regret a single part of it. LDRs can work as long as you are both willing to put in the effort and trust each other 100%. Personally I think you need to have an end time in sight when it'll no longer be long distance...

If you want a chat or a moan feel free to send me a PM.
  • Options
    Hey guys, I know it's been a while since I posted about this... but I thought I'd give a quick update.

I went down to Newcastle for about a week not that long after we came back from New Zealand so that was good, allowed us to grow closer to each other. At the moment I'm looking for a part-time job to fit around my uni work, so that I have extra cash to go down every now and then, but she's planning on coming up early November and even for New Years.

We're on the phone for hours nearly every day and always texting each other, but at the same time we don't feel like we have to talk to each other all the time... especially since we both understand we have a lot of work to do for uni.

So far things seem to be going amazingly well, and hopefully it'll keep up. As for what she is looking to do after Uni, she'll pretty much have/want to work with the NHS, which means she could work anywhere in the UK.

Thanks all for your replies and kind words, it certainly helps!

Oh and RaggyDoll, I may have to take you up on that offer of PMing you at some point lol
  • Options
    According to your last post, it seems that you're doing a good job :) Staying in touch alot without intervening too much with you're separate lives (job, uni etc..) sounds positive.