Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Redundancy Q's

JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
Had my final notice of redundancy today. One point of interest has struck me which I wanted to run past those more knowledgeable! Bear in mind today is October 17th!

"Your contractual entitlement to notice is 5 weeks, but as we are giving you warning of this now means your notice period is between the 15th October and 16th November 2007. Therefore this is no balance of notice owed to you."

Firstly I wasn't given the letter today and secondly the 15th - 16th is not 5 weeks but 31 days, even before you include the 2 days between the day the letter was written and the day I received it (by hand).

This may seen quite petty but this accounts for 20 hours pay (£140!) so I'm quite keen to see if I have any rights to this extra pay!

Ta.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The 15th to the 16th is 5 working weeks.

The only quibble you would have would be the actual day they gave you the letter, but whether that makes any difference depends on how they work out the payment.
    i know my contract states they can alter the notice period if they feel necessary and they will notify me in writing prior to this happening.

so maybe you have some get out in there somewhere so they can do the same?

shitter being made redundant tho, happened to me once, and didnt get a penny cos i'd only been there a short time
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Mist wrote: »
    The 15th to the 16th is 5 working weeks.

Are they allowed to do that on the basis that we work in a 24 hours industry and the vast majority of my working hours are OUTSIDE the 'working week'?
    JsT wrote: »
    Are they allowed to do that on the basis that we work in a 24 hours industry and the vast majority of my working hours are OUTSIDE the 'working week'?

Of that I have no idea. I expect though that if the specific wording does not state "working" or "calender" or whatever, that it would be difficult to argue against.
    15th October is a Monday. 16th Nov is a Friday.

I'd reckon from that they are counting the working weeks Mon-Fri. If you'd usually work at the weekends, and in particular if you would have been working the 17/18th Nov weekend then you could try kicking up a stink for that weekends pay.
    Give ACAS a call, but I think that they can do that.