Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Location Location Location Top 20 Best & Worst Places To Live

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Edinburgh named as the best place to live in the UK 2007. :D

Middlesborough voted worst.

Full list: http://channel4bestandworst.com/

Did anyone's town make the top 20, or does anyone live in any of the bottom 20? Come on, own up.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    South Northamptonshire was number 18, that's where I/my parents have lived for the last 17 years :yippe: much better than the rest of Northamptonshire. Doesn't have Northampton in it for a start...

eta and Reigate is number 19, I was born there and lived there for 4 years!
    I used to live in Nottingham, and its not the shithole the show makes it out as...

its worse :razz:

Seriously though Nottingham is a great city, the only let down is the crime rate. :thumb:
    Well i work near middlesbrough, and yes it has problems, but seriously ive visited worse places
    im in at number 19 on the worst and can understand why to the untrained eye, its not a pretty town, it has its problems but its what i call home.

its one of those places that most people who visit think they dont like it, but anyone who's been here for a amount of time grow to like it.

nice to see they only showed some run down terraced streets which have actually started being demolished since that was filmed, and failed to show the miles and miles of countryside around here.

never mind.

at least we made the list.

come on burnley, UTC.

eta and Reigate is number 19, I was born there and lived there for 4 years!

Same here. Well I was born in Red Hill hospital but spent the first four years of my life in Reigate.

Mid Sussex got 16th, and I live in Mid Sussex.
    That's where I was born too :hyper:
    That's where I was born too :hyper:

Small world innit.

Red Hill hospital doesn't exist anymore though. :(
    Im at number 6 on the worst list. Was at number 2 until i moved 6 months ago! Im going up in the world!
    I wasn't in either of them.
    What a load of shite.

It's funny how those two rah rah twats always slag off anywhere vaguely northern, and then get tied up in a love-in for rah rah Edinburgh and anywhere in the Surrey commuter belt.

Middlesbrough ain't great but it certainly isn't the worst place to live. And how they can say Edinburgh is fantastic when Princes Street is the ugliest shopping street in the country and half the city is a council sink estate I'll never know.
    Kermit wrote: »
    And how they can say Edinburgh is fantastic when Princes Street is the ugliest shopping street in the country and half the city is a council sink estate I'll never know.

Yeah, Princes Street is fucking vile.

building_58.jpg

PrincesSt.jpg

53_Princes_St1.jpg

princes_street_03.jpg

princes_street_04.jpg

princes_street_06.jpg

princes_street_08.jpg

Oh...wait...no it's not.

building_58.jpg

PrincesSt.jpg

53_Princes_St1.jpg

princes_street_03.jpg

princes_street_04.jpg

princes_street_06.jpg

princes_street_08.jpg

Oh...wait...no it's not.
    I can't see a problem with it. It was fine when I was last there.
    Mines 9 on the worst. I think it was actually the worst last year or the year before. Not surprised though, there's nothing here.

53_Princes_St1.jpg

Oh...wait...no it's not.

Most of it is hideous concrete (as this photo shows) and last time I was there I couldn't bloody breathe for the fumes coming out the back of all the old knackered Lothian Transport buses.

Edinburgh's not bad, but my arse it's the best place in the country to live. I bet Allsopp's only chosen that because she has some flats she wants to flog.
    haha 'ull is number 2 on worst
    Mine wasn't in either as I said but it gets a ok review here and 4/5 stars :D Well it's on the up which is a good thing.
    Kermit wrote:
    And how they can say Edinburgh is fantastic when Princes Street is the ugliest shopping street in the country and half the city is a council sink estate I'll never know.

You have a point about the council estates but then what big city doesn't have a few rougher areas, and the bad areas in Edinburgh aren't half as bad as many people think. Even nortorious areas like Leith have undergone significant development and are now totally rejuvenated. Don't judge the city on your Irvine Welsh novels. The city's moved on a bit and I read recently that Edinburgh's crime rate is just a fifth of the Scottish National average, despite being the 2nd largest city.

Anyway, it's nice to see the award go to somewhere like Edinburgh that's a little rough around the edges, rather than some twee little English village with a GDP 5 times the national average.

Most of it is hideous concrete (as this photo shows) and last time I was there I couldn't bloody breathe for the fumes coming out the back of all the old knackered Lothian Transport buses.

That'd be the same Lothian Bus company that's been shortlisted for the UK Bus Awards Bus Operator of the Year 2007 Award (lol). I believe it won the award in 2002 or 2003 as well.

Edinburgh's not bad, but my arse it's the best place in the country to live.

But then you wouldn't know, having not lived here.
    Well all I can say is that if Islington is the 7th worst place in the country to live then the 8th worst place must be amazing - love Islington/Highbury
    Edinburgh is a nice city. Never lived there but the center is nice.

Only problem with Edinburgh, and most of Scotland for that matter- its too fucking cold!

:thumb:
    Jim V wrote: »
    Well all I can say is that if Islington is the 7th worst place in the country to live then the 8th worst place must be amazing - love Islington/Highbury

Some parts of Islington (around Angle) are great loads of bars and shops. Some parts of Islington are complete shitholes though, much like most places.
    Jim V wrote: »

Yeah I like Islington... but then again I like Hackney and that's pretty low down on the list!!

I was thinking this too, I do think the centre areas are great (especially at this time of year) but it's extremes in Edinburgh - either really overpriced and pretentious or absolute dives.

Would've thought Aberdeen should have been there or thereabouts? Granted walking through Northfield or Torry is taking your life in your own hands a bit and as a city it's more grey than a Tory MP but there's plenty to do, beautiful countryisde all around, high average wage with all the oil/offshore jobs, nice houses and the people are nice etc.
    They missed out 'My apartment' as the best place to live.

Bugger.

I forgot to vote.

;)
    Addict wrote: »
    You have a point about the council estates but then what big city doesn't have a few rougher areas, and the bad areas in Edinburgh aren't half as bad as many people think.

Of course all cities have them, and I'm certainly not basing my opinion (just) on Irvine Welsh novels, but hey.

I actually don't mind Edinburgh as a city, there are some amazing pubs, but I don't think it's that much better than most other places.

I don't know how they work it out, it just seems to be whether it's your turn or not. Alnwick in Northumberland (beautiful town, piss all there, miles from anywhere) won it the other year and is now nowhere to be seen.
    Anyway, it's nice to see the award go to somewhere like Edinburgh that's a little rough around the edges, rather than some twee little English village with a GDP 5 times the national average.

I'd agree with that, but still. IMHO both Perth and Aberdeen are nicer cities.
    That'd be the same Lothian Bus company that's been shortlisted for the UK Bus Awards Bus Operator of the Year 2007 Award (lol). I believe it won the award in 2002 or 2003 as well.

Northern Trains won Train Operator of the Year award last year, and their trains are all converted buses on goods wagons that are 25 years old...
    But then you wouldn't know, having not lived here.

Nor has Kirstie Allsopp...
    I'm surprised nottingham is low down. It's a really good city, lots of opportunities, 2 good unis and loads of stuff to do. Shame the crime rate is bad but i do think its exaggerated. Most of this needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Did they actually visit all of these places?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Northern Trains won Train Operator of the Year award last year, and their trains are all converted buses on goods wagons that are 25 years old...

Not what you run but how you run it, or so they say.

I'm still chuckling that Hull isn't the worst!
    That programme was a load of bollocks. Most of those places in Surrey sounded dead boring. Would much rather live in a proper city than a non-place.

Spot on about Mansfield though, it's nasty.
    Addict wrote: »
    Edinburgh named as the best place to live in the UK 2007. :D

Middlesborough voted worst.

Full list: http://channel4bestandworst.com/
    Guilford Massiiiiiiiiiif.
    i live in the third worst place, and i completely agree with everything they said...it's a complete shit hole...