Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Euro 2008 Qualifiers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Nobody got anything to say, or do we just sing when we're winning?

Scotland were crap tonight, key players who did the business against the French and Ukranians weren't really there tonight. Fergsuon was shit, Fletcher wasn't at the races, Murty and Alexander were pulled all over the place.

I expected a setback at some point (we've played well in every game so far in the hardest group in the history of football) but it just sets up a MASSIVE game against the World Champions next month. Glad we got the Scottish coverage btw, don't really want to think about how much Lineker enjoyed that.

No point being too down about it, a home win against Italy (capable of getting that IMO) and we're there. Unlike some, our fate is in our own hands.

Well done Norn Iron aswell :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So disappointing for Scotland. Was working and missed the match but I was gutted when I heard about it. After watching highlights, it looks like they were well beaten, but McFadden definitely should have had a penalty at 1-0.

England should not have lost and no way should Russia have had that penalty. I don't think England will qualify now as Russia won't slip up against Israel or Andorra and England will struggle to get anything from Croatia.

Great result for Northern Ireland. We're not going to qualify (even though it's mathematically possible) but these fantastic results will put us in good stead seeding wise for World Cup qualification. Great goal from Lafferty tonight - County Fermanagh born and bred. :thumb:
    Addict wrote: »
    England should not have lost and no way should Russia have had that penalty.

To be fair, Rooney was offside so the England goal shouldn't have stood either.

England are in the position they deserve, no complaints, no recriminations.
    England should not have lost and no way should Russia have had that penalty. I don't think England will qualify now as Russia won't slip up against Israel or Andorra and England will struggle to get anything from Croatia.

We deserved to lose, we were shite. Of course the penalty was bullshit, and I'm not sure about Rooney's goal, but we were crap. And I'm really disappointed once again, that McLaren can't see that, blaming everything but himself and his players. I thought the ref was a little bit biased, but not overly so, and it didn't change the fact that they were ten times better than us. Shame, because the team was starting to take shape a bit (bit confused about Lescott at left-back when Shorey's in the squad though), but today, defensively we were all over the place, going forward we offered nothing, and tactically, we were completely naive. At 1-0 we should've either gone for the kill or kept it tight, and we completely failed to do either. When it was clear we couldn't keep hold of the ball for 10 seconds and were creating nothing, we should've switched to a tight defensive game instead. And his substitutions after the second goal seemed like he was panicking.

I think we'll do Croatia at home, but obviously the rest is out of our hands.

Disappointed for Scotland. I think they really had to win this one. As much as they bang on about how hard they are to beat at Hampden, World Champions tend to have a habit of pulling it out of the bag when it really matters, and I can't see them beating Italy.

Good result for Northern Ireland even though it probably doesn't mean anything now, but Wales really need to get rid of that twat of a manager. And the Republic should really be doing better with the players they've got. So in conclusion, no-one's qualifying, everyone should be sacked. :p
    I only managed to get home from work for the 2nd half but by all accounts we were really good in the 1st, really tight and compact defensively, which is exactly how you have to be at places like Russia!
    2nd half we started well also, Gerrard should have finisished the game off and that was the turning point, the Russians were always going to have a very good spell and when that came they scored both goals.

I don't think we'll qualify now but I hope I'm wrong!!
    In a weird way, it's better that we have just go out and win. If we know at the back of our minds that a draw is enough then it could fuck things up.

Up against the masters of playing for a draw, so I'm hoping rather than expecting. A draw would be enough if France lose in Ukraine, which isn't out of the question but we have to go for the win.
    We deserved to lose, we were shite.

Fair enough, I only caught the highlights so maybe they gave a slightly skewed representation of things. The BBC commentators didn't even mention that Rooney's goal was offside as far as I remember!

Russia did look menacing at times. They had a nice neat passing game in the attacking third, something England can't match. Whatever you want to say about Gerrard, he's not a nice neat passer. In fact, he gives away the ball for fun with Hollywood passes.
    The funniest result was probaly San Marino 1-2 Wales, did anyone see the handball that the San Marinoian got a 2nd booking for?? :lol:
    Wales are dire. Beating San Marino 2-1 is the equivilant of getting humiliated 4-0 in a normal game.
    Russia had a perfectly good goal disallowed at 1-0 at Wembley, so I don't want to whinge about the ref too much, except to say I expected it the second I found out he was Spanish. Another dodgy Spanish ref to add to the collection, I suppose.

Rooney wasn't offside. Gerrard should have scored. Lescott was atrocious, and that's Second Choice Steve's fault for not playing Shorey (who has been solid for England, and solid is what you need in these games).

I bear no ill to Second Choice Steve, because he has always tried his best, but he simply isn't good enough to manage England. This qualifying campaign puts Sven's achievements into perspective, which is what I've been saying all along.

I could smell another Rotterdam before the game, and I was right. The referee was bent, UEFA are bent, and England are shit.
    We were absolutely terrible last night. Cyprus deserved to beat us by at least a goal or two. Stauntan has to go and thats it.
    Wales are dire. Beating San Marino 2-1 is the equivilant of getting humiliated 4-0 in a normal game.

True. So very, very, brutally true. :(