Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Putin Warns US

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

Clumsy diplomacy?

Comments

• Options
    If the US do invade what's he going to do? Shout very loudly?
  • Options
    I dunno, i think its about time someone with some sort of power told america where to go.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    I dunno, i think its about time someone with some sort of power told america where to go.

Well that rules the Russians out...
  • Options

Well you say that.

But don't forget they've still got enough nukes to nuke the fucking owrld more than once over.

Why do we care about Iran anyway? Yes, they're our neighbours, but seriously.

And before anyone says 'Oil', bear in mind we spend more money in military intervention etc. than we get back through wealth vreated from oil. So food for thought!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

This makes me doubt your knowledge of the Russian armed forces.

Best Airforce would go to them, with all stats considered. RAF are probably the best trained, mind. Ground forces? They got that more than covered. T-80 and 90 are the second only to the Challi 2. Navy, the weakest link in Russias forces and still easily capable of defending against US aggression. They also have the most nukes. Also they could deny Soyuz access to the US space program, fucking them over rather well. ISS becomes Russian dominated. Russia doesn't have the logistics to invade anywhere anymore. But they can easily defend against the US attacking. The US airforce would get minced if it tried anything. And without air support, a ground or naval invasion is screwed.

Economically Russia pulls alot of strings, despite being in the shits. What if they cut off gass supplies to Europe? And oil? Also the mussaive multi nationals based in Moscow.
  • Options
    The Russian military is hopelessly out of date, yes they have more of it but what they have is obsolete. Take the Challenger 2, only 2 got knocked out during the Iraq war. One by another challenger and the other by an RPG to the tracks. Nothing else is capable of getting passed it's armour.

As for nukes, yes they have the most but the UK has enough on it's own to turn Russia into a wasteland, what would they hope to achieve apart from their own destruction?
  • Options
    Returning to topic- a diplomatic wrap on the knuckles by the leader of one of the few countries which america and co cannot bully and bomb is very opportune. Should those militaristic desperados in the white house be even more stupid as to attack Iran, then they're arrogant occupying asses will be whipped even faster in iraq.The american empire is losing its odious influence n control in the middle east, and about time.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    This makes me doubt your knowledge of the Russian armed forces.

Best Airforce would go to them, with all stats considered. RAF are probably the best trained, mind. Ground forces? They got that more than covered. T-80 and 90 are the second only to the Challi 2. Navy, the weakest link in Russias forces and still easily capable of defending against US aggression. They also have the most nukes. Also they could deny Soyuz access to the US space program, fucking them over rather well. ISS becomes Russian dominated. Russia doesn't have the logistics to invade anywhere anymore. But they can easily defend against the US attacking. The US airforce would get minced if it tried anything. And without air support, a ground or naval invasion is screwed.

Economically Russia pulls alot of strings, despite being in the shits. What if they cut off gass supplies to Europe? And oil? Also the mussaive multi nationals based in Moscow.

Yes, but hideously trained and led, with poor morale and a habit of sending armour columns into towns with no infantry cover. In any serious shooting match the only questions is whether the Russians can get out quickly enough before there T-80's become burning hulks.

Though frankly its irrelevant, Putin knows this. He's not going to put in ground troops to protect Iran (the average Iranian is not a great fan of the Russians, with whom they've been feuding for centuries) and the US is not planning to invade Moscow.

Russia is a second rate power behind the UK, France, Germany and Japan. It is not the USSR mkII
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The Russian military is hopelessly out of date, yes they have more of it but what they have is obsolete. Take the Challenger 2, only 2 got knocked out during the Iraq war. One by another challenger and the other by an RPG to the tracks. Nothing else is capable of getting passed it's armour.

As for nukes, yes they have the most but the UK has enough on it's own to turn Russia into a wasteland, what would they hope to achieve apart from their own destruction?

My point was, because of these nukes, you can't simply sweep anything they say / do aside as if it's irrelevant. Although they're not going to use Nukes, they could use them...
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    My point was, because of these nukes, you can't simply sweep anything they say / do aside as if it's irrelevant.

But Bush has been doing just that with support for the 'Colour revolutions' and the proposed radar defence shield. Bush has been farting in Putin's face since the invasion of Afghanistan.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    My point was, because of these nukes, you can't simply sweep anything they say / do aside as if it's irrelevant. Although they're not going to use Nukes, they could use them...

They're too blunt an instrument. very useful as a defensive tool, but a waste of time for military and diplomatic posturing. We know Russia isn't going to use them for Iran (and Putin quiet sensibly has not suggested that they would).
  • Options
    forget armies and nukes all they need to do is turn the taps off for a few weeks and watch western economies grind to a halt, oil's near $100/barrel already so it wouldn't take much either....russia has the natural resources and china has the dollars, the only thing america's still manufacturing these days is for its military, not a pretty picture is it? war's about the only trick they have left, at this point it doesn't really matter if iran has nukes or not.....
  • Options
    forget armies and nukes all they need to do is turn the taps off for a few weeks and watch western economies grind to a halt, oil's near $100/barrel already so it wouldn't take much either....russia has the natural resources and china has the dollars, the only thing america's still manufacturing these days is for its military, not a pretty picture is it? war's about the only trick they have left, at this point it doesn't really matter if iran has nukes or not.....

Oh dear, somebody's been reading a little too much Noam Chomsky...
  • Options

Yeah and watch their economy crumble a lot faster than anyone else's. They're a lot more dependent on selling it than the West is on buying it (and also the USSR is much more reliant on military manufacturing than the US)
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Oh dear, somebody's been reading a little too much Noam Chomsky...

lol i haven't read chomsky in years actually but the man has a point or two...if you actually have one let's hear it :p
  • Options
    lol i haven't read chomsky in years actually but the man has a point or two...if you actually have one let's hear it :p

To suggest that the U.S. is a nation that has nothing going for it but war, that the concern they have over Iran is bogus: that they're just looking for a country to attack because they simply loooooove war so much betrays your blind anti-Americanism - it's sad.
  • Options
    Bear in mind that a warning shouldn't necessarily mean military action against the US. A return to the Cold War, military action against neighbouring nations that are currently friendly to the US and of strategic importance or worldwide economic turmoil could all be on the agenda and be very unwelcome.

As it happens I don't think anything much will happen if the US does attack. But if there are some doubters in Washington about military action and Russia's warnings strenghten the 'no' camp, that's not a bad thing.
  • Options
    Yeah and watch their economy crumble a lot faster than anyone else's. They're a lot more dependent on selling it than the West is on buying it

well that's debatable, i doubt they'd ever stop selling it outright but i'm sure they could find other emerging economies to sell to and there's really not much stopping them from hiking the prices ever higher to squeeze the west....supply and demand at the end of the day china can afford $100 a barrel more than america, noone's saying it would be pretty but it's happening already.....

Russia play a big part but it's not just them, the US is gradually losing influence over OPEC countries - Iran and Venezuela aren't taking dollars for oil anymore full stop, the 2nd biggest OPEC producer Kuwait is selling 85% of its crude for euros and yen these days, countries don't want to peg their currencies to the dollar anymore because it's causing huge inflation, even the Saudi sheikhs who have always been in the US pockets are getting weary....it's no wonder the dollar's falling like a stone because the only buggers left buying 'em are the chinese, and who knows how long that will last?...

slightly off on a tangent but my point is russia are playing the game like everyone else, america is running out of options so let's hope they don't do something stupid....

ETA: runnymede pls read my post and the articles I've linked to, I wouldn't say I'm anti-american maybe I just pay a little more attention to what's going on.....oh, and I'm still waiting for your point?