Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Top Gear pipes anger anti-smokers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

I wasn't sure initially whether this story was a joke or not.

Can ASH really be taken seriously when they pull ridiculous stunts like this? They've done nothing but harm the anti-smoking cause as far as i can see.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what's worse - them getting annoyed about it, or you getting annoyed about them getting annoyed about it?
    ASH have got fuck all else better to do.
    I did wonder when I watched it whether it would be commented on.

Stupid though really. None of the audience cared.
    "I smoke, if that bothers any of you I suggest you take a quick look around the world in which we live, and shut the fuck up"
    -Bill Hicks.

what the hell is wrong with the anti-smoking folks in that country?
    "I smoke, if that bothers any of you I suggest you take a quick look around the world in which we live, and shut the fuck up"
    -Bill Hicks.

what the hell is wrong with the anti-smoking folks in that country?

They've become drunk on their own smug sense of moral righteousness.

*ducks* :D
    *yawns*

I have better things to worry about than whether ASH were concerned about something on the TV.

So what if they were?
    *yawns*

I have better things to worry about than whether ASH were concerned about something on the TV.

So what if they were?

If you don't care, then why post?

I'm happy they've made themselves look like a bunch of twats.
    I don't care about what they think. I care about people who seem to have a siege mentality when it comes to smoking.

Like I said, so what if ASh are worried/concerned. It doesn;t change the fact thta it happened, they don't have a time machine to go back and change what happened. So let them get all stuffy. What effect does it have on you that a lobby organisation complains?

You should worry if laws might be changed...
    J wrote: »
    Isn't the terrible world in which we look at around us the same one that people smoke in?

...yes(?)

sorry, I seem to have missed your meaning.
    He's trying to say that the world is a shit place anyway so why not smoke. I'm saying that the world is a shit place simply because people do smoke inevitably draining the resources of organisations such as the NHS effectively draining us all.
    Ok it's not the only reason why the world is shit but religions and philosophers have been onto this for years. Nobody listens/cares...

Actualy, I think in the context of what he was saying during his bit, he was essentaily stateing that the world doesn't stop and take off its hat every time someone is a little inconvenienced. Basicaly, that the fact that he smokes isn't a huge deal, and they can just put up with it.
    Addict wrote: »
    what's worse - them getting annoyed about it, or you getting annoyed about them getting annoyed about it?

Or you getting annoyed at him for getting annoyed at them for getting annoyed about it? :p

Sorry, just wanted to play on words.

But seriously, it's one of those stupid things. On the one hand, yea I see your point Ash, but on the main hand, it's entertainment, they're not constricted by the usual rules, they can bang dead parrots on tables - whereas now the RSPCA would call out for 'mock animal cruelty'.

Just ignore them, this is giving them the attention they want. I am ignoring the, by advising you all to ignore them.
    I guess it's down to interpretation? Someone back me up though it could be read like that right? I'm not completely insane am I?

After that post about rubbing you cock on a cat I'm going to have to go with bat-shit insane.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Insane or not, there's a point. Yes, lots of things are bad with the world, and most of them are far worse than smoking. But the smoking phenomenon itself doesn't make the world any better. One person might not make a difference, but (s)he's still part of everyone that does.
    If we always said "It doesn't matter that this thing is bad, there are worse things out there" nothing good would ever happen. There is always something worse.
    I think it was damn fine Television and should be applauded. More TV presenters should present shows from comfy arm chairs while smoking on a pipe... infact, i might buy myself a pipe, i have always wanted one and they look rather good, make a change from the Cigars i usually smoke... on the rare occasions i do smoke ;)

Has anyone noticed since the Smoking ban came into effect all the do-gooder twatfaces have decided to wage a war on Alcohol and are trying to make it more expensive and less accessible and have campaigned for more stringent laws on Alcohol? Why can;t they just shut the fuck up and let people have some fun?