Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

WTF?? I got rejected by M&S!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
<<RANT>>

I did their stupid talent quiz thingy on their online application and got an automated email saying that I didnt pass & I cant apply again for another 6 months. Was gonna try to get a Xmas job with them - never mind that now!! :banghead:

I read on some careers website that those talent quiz things are supposed to show which department you would be best in, not a pass/fail thing. It said the best thing to be is to be honest, so I was. Now apparently I'm not good enough to be one of their damned shelf-stackers!! For god's sake, how hard is it to stack a few damn shelves!!! :shocking: It's not like I was applying to be a manager or something!! :banghead:

<<RANT OVER>>

Sorry about that. Phew!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wouldn't worry.

They rejected me too.

My mum said "maybe they have no jobs".

I applied 5 minutes after coming back from a careers fair where they had lots of people applying for jobs.

Fab.
    :chin: Hmm, no jobs. Ok I'll believe that.

It was only gonna be for some crappy Xmas job anyway, so isnt very important. It just deflated my ego a bit... ok completely

Nice to know I'm not alone though :D
    M&S are v picky about the staff they employ.

Try Morrison's, who aren't!
    Lol Fuck 'em mate, you don't wanna work there anyway.

Word on the street is that Tesco are paying about 15 quid an hour for stacking shelves at night. It would be social suicide because it has to be 5 days a week and would be silly hours like 10pm til 6am, and you'd probably be very drained and depressed by the end of it, but if it's only for a bit of extra cash over x-mas, may be worth it? The pay is very good.

I'd do it, but I enjoy my partying and nightlife too much. :D
    Sainsbury's pay well for night staff too, I *think* they want 7pm-7am though which is a mental 12hour shift.
    Sainsbury's pay well for night staff too, I *think* they want 7pm-7am though which is a mental 12hour shift.

Meh, I eat 12 hour shifts for breakfast. I do plenty of 'em, however it's the fact that it's all night, every night. You'd spend every day sleeping and you'd never be able to go out or anything.
    i got rejected from co op and william hill after a questionnaire so i got someone else to do the one for a tesco application and they said no.
    Well check this guys, when I was 16 I got rejected by Drusilla's, which is a local Zoo.

All I wanted to do was go around collecting trash in the kid's playground and maybe driving that mini train thing.
    I think they turned me down because I tried to show off in front of this hot girl by being funny in the group interview, asking if we got walky talky's and an electric stick thing to poke any escaped animals with. :no: The shame...
    You got monked by M&S lol
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    You got monked by M&S lol

:eek2:

I got rejected by Sainsburys when I was 16. HA. It's something to look back and laugh at. But seriously, just keep trying at other places and something will come up.
    **Helen** wrote: »
    :eek2:

I got rejected by Sainsburys when I was 16. HA. It's something to look back and laugh at. But seriously, just keep trying at other places and something will come up.
    I got rejected by Tesco three times :thumb:.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Well check this guys, when I was 16 I got rejected by Drusilla's, which is a local Zoo.

All I wanted to do was go around collecting trash in the kid's playground and maybe driving that mini train thing.
    I think they turned me down because I tried to show off in front of this hot girl by being funny in the group interview, asking if we got walky talky's and an electric stick thing to poke any escaped animals with. :no: The shame...
    Aaahh I used to love going there when I was a kid! I even got to hold an owl. IT was so cool. And that big playground with the zip line.
    I miss being ten :( (and that was 11 years ago, now I feel SO old.)
    Aaahh I used to love going there when I was a kid! I even got to hold an owl. IT was so cool. And that big playground with the zip line.
    I miss being ten :( (and that was 11 years ago, now I feel SO old.)

Drusilla's was definately the place to be seen when you were a kid! :cool:

You should see it now, they've added loads of new shit to it and done it up quite nicely.
    Funnily enough I just passed the roleplay today at M&S. :p

You should be able to do the phone questions instead of the online form. Thats how I did it.
    Don't worry about it - companies can be bizarre about who they employ! For eg. I've worked in retail at Virgin, Co-op, Debenhams, and Buckingham Palace, but still have been rejected by Tesco 3-4 times over the years! And even now when I've just applied for a load of part-time retail jobs there are some who haven't bothered getting back to me despite me having lots of experience and them having vacancies, so don't take it personally. Keep hunting and hopefully you'll find something else soon!
    I was rejected by Evans and when the manager called to tell me I informed her I'd got a job elsewhere (it was Marks and Spencer, who I wouldn't work for ever again in a million years btw!) and she actually had the cheek to be amazed that anyone would employ me!
    So you didnt get the job! You best get used to the feeling, as it wont be the last time it happens. I've tired MS and got rejcted two times.

Now what would be soul destrying is Mcdonalds or Poundland saying no...
    MancDan wrote: »
    So you didnt get the job! You best get used to the feeling, as it wont be the last time it happens. I've tired MS and got rejcted two times.

I'm not pissed that I didnt get the job. I've been rejected before, so what? Its just that I was applying to be basically a shelf-stacker & got rejected. I didnt realize they had such high standards for stacking a few shelves.

Nice to know I'm not the only M&S reject though :D
    This is a good forum about M&S and getting a job there.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=246423&page=36
    Sory, just the way you were goin on about it, sounded like the first time!

Its not just about stacking shelves though is it?!
    MancDan wrote: »
    Sory, just the way you were goin on about it, sounded like the first time!

Its not just about stacking shelves though is it?!

No. If you went for customer assistant then you're not going to be stacking shelves. You will be interacting with customers either from on the shop floor or from behind the counter. Other areas of work include Warehouse and online shopping.

Have a read through that link above, lots of dicussion on the topic.
    it has alot to dow tih your personality. So take it personally :P
    Strangely enough I got a job on Friday at M&S on the Womans Fashions bit

I just put what they wanted to hear on the questionnaire thing online then the actual interview was nice and easy and I got offered the job there and then !
    where do you take the test? It might be fun having a go. How do they check if you are using your real name though? I have no intention whatsoever of working for them.
    I imagine you take it on their website...?

I worked for M&S when I was 16/17, worst job I've ever had with NO exceptions (and that was when they still dished out monster double time payments for Sundays and holidays -- which I don't think they do anymore...)
    ha i got rejected by tesco years ago in my first ever job interview, i remember thinking at the time wtf? i wouldn't get too wound up over it it's not really a reflection on your ability, i found easier ways to make money and it hasn't really affected my career to date lol.
    I think you take a test online which if you pass you are allowed to submit an application form for a job. A talent test I think they call it.
    No wonder it's so hard to find a job these days. I'm still waiting to hear from Argos, who are after xmas temps. Got til tuesday. They didn't even ask for much in the application form. Starting to get worried though.
    Best way is to apply for everything you see, everything, and don't be picky. The more you apply for the better your chances. They like retail experience too, so if you haven't managed to find a job, try volunteering in a charity shop so you have some retail experience to put down on your form.
    briggi wrote: »

I worked for M&S when I was 16/17, worst job I've ever had with NO exceptions (and that was when they still dished out monster double time payments for Sundays and holidays -- which I don't think they do anymore...)

Same here Briggi. I got into trouble for talking to a colleague for 30 seconds about something work related because they thought we must be gossiping. I got sent to another department and when I got there kept being called the naughty girl! Another time I cut my hand open and it wouldn't stop bleeding but they didn't even put it in the accident book.

I quit in the most childish of ways - by leaving a note and not turning up the next day!