Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

oh so confused...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm started to feel that the course i want to do doesn't exsist...

i want to do a music tech course that is a mix of production and sound engineering, but all courses seem to be one or the other or basically a media course with a few sound moduals...which isn't what i want...

i've been to westminster, which everyone is telling me is crap, but i quite liked it, one thing is that their disability support services aren't very good...

i went to london met, and really didn't like it. The sylabus is very vague, and the stuff that is done is not the stuff i want to do...

i'm going to bath and UWE in the next few weeks, but i'm running out of options, especialy as i really need to be in london as i will lose the support network i have right now. i don't have family in the UK and i will be homeless as of august/september 08 (my tenency agreement is up and they won't renew)

i have started to lose confidence in my ability as a sound engineer, and i'm feeling crap over all (relapsed depression :( ), but i'm wondering if i should fall back on my one of my few natural talents and do a performance (singing) degree, in popular or commercial music?

help!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You don't have to do a degree at all. If you want to study a mix of sound production and engineering- do that instead.
    Have you tried looking at Southampton Solent University?

They do a few courses in Media/Music Technology, for example Sound Engineering.
    Sure you have, but just to check.

Have you tried looking at straight Sound Engineering courses and seeing if they have any optional production modules (even if not in 1st year), or Production courses which might have optional sound engineering modules?

It's something worth looking into, as I'm sure you know you need to look beyond the course title.

When you say Westminsters disability support services aren't very good, what do you mean by that? What kind of support do you need? Is it mainly equipment (which comes from the LEA) or is it extra tuition/note taking/ study skills classes etc which are funded by the LEA but organised by the uni. If it's a case of mainly being equipment then that's pretty much between you and the LEA so it may not matter so much about the uni's system.

(Don't actually answer those questions, just for you to think about.

The only opinions you need to care about as to whether a course/uni is crap or not are those of the industry you want to work in, and those of the current/past students. Anyone else doesn't really know what they are talking about. and may well be being a snob

It's also worth remembering that you have 6 spaces on the UCAS form, so pick the 6 you think you like the most and apply for them, you don't have to actually decide for a fair while yet!

Do you actually need to be in London? Or do you actually need to be somewhere that has good support for independant students? It's worth thinking about, Life changes a lot when you go to uni. When you go to open days, ask questions, look at prospectuses, find out about the tutorial and welfare system, but also look at the stuff for international students. A lot of international students are on their own in this country, with on family and don't go home in the holidays. In many ways you're likely to have a lot in common with them as far as circumstances go.