Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bt problem, where do i stand

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, we signed a 18m contract with BT for a phone line but due to us being evicted (we can word it like that as we LEGALLY don't own the house even though we pay the morgage it's in my mother in laws name) we've had to cancel our phone line, they asked if we wanted to transfer it to our new address and i said sure, never got told of a charge for this, got a letter through yesterday saying it's costing £124.99 for the line to be put in (as our new place does NOT have a bt telephone line in the building) i phoned them up and asked, wtf is this charge they said it's for the line, so i said, cancel the line I dont want it, she now said "ok you owe us £175 for the contract cancelation as you owe us complete payments up untill june next year,

where do i stand, i'm being evicted so I cannot keep the BT line, it's IMPOSSIBLE TO, unless I pay £124.99 for a phoneline? where do i stand with this, do i need to pay either charges, BT seem to be robbing bastards imo, i fucking hate them

It's all a back up tbh as we tried to get a 3rd line at this address a year and a half ago and they said they couldn't unless they DAX the line. which means not broadband which isn't what i want, if they cant do the line they said I do not have to pay, but if I dont want the line do I have to pay.

Comments

• Options
    Well the situation is, We've moved from our house where we had a 18m contract,

moved into our parents house who already have 2lines (one address but it's like three houses (grandparents, theirs, ours) so we wanted 3rd line but im classed as a tennant on our part of the house so according to them there is no line here, they want to charge me for either the line or the contract which is out of order and pissing me off.
  • Options
    Tell them that you won't pay either and let them chase you for it.

If they won't provide the service then you shouldn't have to pay.
  • Options
    I sucessfully managed to get them to waive £124 charge

just tell them you were told you wouldnt have to pay it, and that you are going to stay on the phone until they sort you out, worked with me

saying that, they insisted i was going to be the first person in this new flat of mine to have a phone line, which was a load of shite, as a week later, a sky magazine for an old tenant arrived in the post
  • Options
    and if you want broadband without the line having to be daxxed sign up with Virgin Media Non-cable (runs from a BT line)
  • Options
    welsh, your reading it wrong, THEY May have to DAX the line which is split one line in half to give me a phone line, (which is called daxing) if your phoneline is daxed YOU cannot receive broadband and jemz, I need a BT LINE before i contact any isp.

spoke to a local enginer, if they go ahead to put a line in, seems like the need to dig up the whole road which will cost more than £124.99 (apparently verging on several thousand pounds)