Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Work Require Proof of ID

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My work handed me a form a number of day's ago and said get it back to us within 7 days or your sacked. it's a form requesting ID. They've had since March of this year to get this form to me and haven't bothered their arse until now. I'm not the only one to have received this in the last 7 days though.

Now this form doesn't have any kind of numbering on it. You know when you are given a letter from say the job centre or any kind of tax form etc etc and it has a set of letters & numbers on the bottom for example, it has none of that. All it does have is the company information, name address phone/fax & VAT number on it. It does say in bold : Employee Identification (This is a Legal Requirement).

Under that is says : In accordance with the asylum & Immigration Act 1996, the company is requires copies of two of the following documents. These will be held on your personnel file.

Passport, Birth Certificate, Work permit. All of those are in the top 3 out of 8 and in bold, those are the 3 main ones they want. However i cannot provide 2 of those as out of them I only have a birth Certificate and do not require a work permit.

It then lists another 5 options, all of which are stuff I've neither heard of nor got, except for the tax related stuff, and previous employer wage slip but I'm highly against them having such a personal and private piece of information held about myself.

I've never had to fill this or any kind of ID form in since i started working 5 years ago, until i joined this place start of last year. The other thing is they have wrongly spelt my surname [which I believe could also be part of the whole problem] and even after asking multiple times for it to be changed, by speaking with members of my management by requests were ignored. I worked for them for a whole year and when i first started last year filled in this same form, at the time I didn't give it a second thought, however I am now.

To clarify my question, I do not feel i should need to fill this form in as A) it doesn't resemble an official type of legal letter and secondly, I don't feel I should need to prove who I am when they probably still have my previous stuff on record

Are they right to ask for all of this ID stuff ?

I could use Immediate answers on this one as I only have until, well as it's now Tuesday, today !

Thanks guys

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They have a legal requirement to check that their employees are legally able to work so I think you should just hand over whatever info they need otherwise they can't really employ you. The place I'm working at now, I've been doing interviews and we have to have two forms of ID, one of them being a driver's license, Passport or Birth Certificate before we take someone on, so I think it's standard procedure and the company covering their back against claims of employing illegal workers.
    They have been a bit slack in not doing this before hiring you really, but I would expect to have to show something. Take in your birth certificate and something off the other list.

Either that or quit, being as it sounds like the job is a bit shit anyway from how you describe your relationship with the employer.
    katralla wrote: »
    They have a legal requirement to check that their employees are legally able to work so I think you should just hand over whatever info they need otherwise they can't really employ you.

Surely they would've done that when he was being interviewed for the job?:confused:
    Well, they should have, but looks like they didn't so, they want it now.
    katralla wrote: »
    They have a legal requirement to check that their employees are legally able to work so I think you should just hand over whatever info they need otherwise they can't really employ you. The place I'm working at now, I've been doing interviews and we have to have two forms of ID, one of them being a driver's license, Passport or Birth Certificate before we take someone on, so I think it's standard procedure and the company covering their back against claims of employing illegal workers.

:yes: Its was introduced a few years ago. Never had to produce anything for my old job (who where always lax on employment law) but had to give passport copy, P60, and proof of address to my agency when I signed up.

You have to provide them whatever data they request, if you have last years P60 just let them have a copy of that (if you've never had one then the company has broken the law). All confidental data is supposed to held securely under the Data Protection Act.

I dont theres a set form for it, they just have to have it on file. Sounds like they might have a Income tax/other government review due and are trying to get there files up to date.
    They got there copies of what they required but I'm still not sure about it all.