Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

current accounts and benefits...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok sort of a 2 in one thing here.....

once i turn 18, i no longer recieve payments from social services, and have to apply to the DSS for income support, and i should also be getting DLA (i've been told i am elegable)...i'm a full time student who lives on my own, don't have student loan (in second year of college), can i get housing benefit and such as well? and i will have a part time job in a months time...though only 16 hours tops...can i still get benefits?

and i need to find myself a good current account which will allow me a small overdraft (£150 or something of the such) and a switch card...i don't want a credit card, only a debit card...any ideas?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have a current account with Lloyds TSB. I have a debit card, but don't have a overdraft; but can apply for one if I want to.
    Most banks will allow you to open a "basic bank account", which will not give you an overdraft (you don't want one, trust me) or a cheque book, but will give you a cash machine card. There's no credit scoring, and the bank cannot refuse to give you one unless you have a history of fraud or are bankrupt. Halifax are quite good, I believe, and will offer a Visa Electron card, which is a basic debit card.

As for the benefits, the rules on people leaving LA care are quite different to the rules for everyone else, so I'll need to go and get my trusty CPAG book from work to tell you. That's especially the case for housing benefit.

If you work more than 16 hours a week you won't be entitled to income support, and you might not as you are in full time education. You might not be entitled to housing benefit either if you are a full time student, but there are different rules for some benefits if you have been in local authority care.
    i need a proper debit card tho, like a switch, because i have a lot of problems with my solo card, and i know people that have problems with visa electron...
    I'm no expert on this, but I have always found Nationwide very good, and their staff are very friendly and helpful if you go in to talk to them about what you want and need, even if you then decide not to use them.
    Yeah i have always found nationwide good i have a current account, with a debit card, with them a credit card and a savings account and my boyfriend has all of that plus a personal loan with them, so no problems here!
    i need a proper debit card tho, like a switch, because i have a lot of problems with my solo card, and i know people that have problems with visa electron...

I have Visa Electron and the only place that won't accept it is the train station, for some reason.

I don't think you will find many banks who will give you a full Maestro card with a non-existent credit history and an income reliant on benefits.
    Kermit wrote: »
    I have Visa Electron and the only place that won't accept it is the train station, for some reason.

They don't accept them in Clinton Cards either, or they didn't used to.
    Or Costa
    Kermit wrote: »

I don't think you will find many banks who will give you a full Maestro card with a non-existent credit history and an income reliant on benefits.
    why not? i can get one as a student