Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Credit Cards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My girlfriend is going to the U.S. soon and the hotel she is staying in requires a credit card as the majority of hotels do. She just wants to get one and then cancel it without using it. Will she incur any charge for this at all? Sorry, I'm absolutely useless when it comes to credit cards.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No. I used to work at a hotel. They do put the cost of the room on the card until you check out, as a liabality. Once you check out, the charges are reversed.
    Cool, thanks a lot.
    Debit cards work aswell ;) I work in a 4star hotel, Abiet, in Scotland, we use Credit/debits to hold rooms, not charges are made to card before check out, however check as some hotel take deposits
    deffo check beforehand, i couldnt use my debit card(switch/maestro) in Canada.
    You can also get pre=paid credit cards now so it works more like a debit card, only uses money you;ve put on it, but with 'mastercard' or 'visa' usability.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Debit cards work aswell ;) I work in a 4star hotel, Abiet, in Scotland, we use Credit/debits to hold rooms, not charges are made to card before check out, however check as some hotel take deposits

This isnt always the case, I recently went to Prague and they refused to accept switch/maestro only mastercard or visa for booking although I oculd pay with my switch at the hotel.
    yup, alot of places do not accept switch or maestro as it has higher charges per transaction, same with amex,

thats why i have a VISA debit card,
    We had a thing booking some of our accomodation in Switzerland where they would only take a credit card for the reservation.

Would take pretty much anything for the balance payment but it had to be a credit card, not even Visa debit.