Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

So, a girl tells me she may have HIV.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A couple of weeks back i slept with a girl (protected) and she gavee me oral (unprotected). She now tells me she may have HIV. In a way im sorta worried, i mean it's something that can screw up your life. In another im not so worried because we had protected sex. Glad i did, especially as she didn't want to use a condom.

I'm gona go visit the clinic soon but reading up on it is confusing. Some places say they can't do a test till 12 weeks have passed and others say there are home tests that can be done.

Just wanted some reassurance/advice etc. Duno whether to be really worried or not if im honest.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know too much about it, but you definitely have to wait a period of time before the test is accurate - I didn't think it was as long as 12 weeks though.
  • Options
    Well there is now a twist in the story. The guy she thinks she got it off tell's her she doesn't have it. How she thinks she's got it then i don't know. Reading up about it more i feel better, it's doubtful i have gotten it but still *worried*
  • Options
    I suggest you both make a visit to your local sexual health clinic

They will be able to tell you all you need to know about HIV risks and they can do the test for you at the appropriate time.

Why does your lady friend think she has HIV? Does the guy she was with before have it? :confused: all sounds very weird!

Its a good idea to get screened for the various STIs if youre ever concerned but as you say you used protection so you *should* be ok - i believe there is some risk of contracting stuff through unprotected oral sex.
  • Options
    just get a test done,
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey, good to hear you had protected sex, but a test will put your mind at rest.

Here's some info from the Avert website which should help clarify things:
    Most people develop detectable HIV antibodies within 6 to 12 weeks of infection. In very rare cases, it can take up to 6 months. It is exceedingly unlikely that someone would take longer than 6 months to develop antibodies.

Getting tested earlier than 3 months may result in an unclear test result, as an infected person may not yet have developed antibodies to HIV. The time between infection and the development of antibodies is called the window period. During the window period people infected with HIV will not yet have antibodies in their blood that can be detected by an HIV test. However, the person may already have high levels of HIV in their blood, sexual fluids or breast milk. Someone can transmit HIV to another person during the window period even though they do not test positive on an antibody test. So it is best to wait for at least 3 months after the last time you were at risk before taking the test, and abstain from unprotected sex or drug use with shared needles in the meantime. Some test centres may recommend testing again at 6 months if you're deemed to be at particularly high risk of infection.

Here's the link if you'd like to read more - http://www.avert.org/testing.htm

Take care x
  • Options
    diddlybop wrote: »
    Why does your lady friend think she has HIV? Does the guy she was with before have it? :confused: all sounds very weird!

I don't know, she seems to be hiding stuff and lying and making stuff up. It's very annoying and making me feel worse. I don't know the full story, apparently she slept with a guy who is bi. He has told her he doesn't have HIV but for some reason she thinks he may do and is lying.

Shes also slept with another guy since that one who said he developed a flu after having sex with her. Although he said it was as soon as he had sex with her, whilst the websites say if you do develop flu like symptons it's not for many weeks after.

It's all very annoying and confusing and just makes me angry and upset.
  • Options
    moo
  • Options
    To be honest the only way to put your mind at risk is to have a test especially if she keeps changing her story. You are rather unlikely to have it especially as the intercourse was protected and passive oral sex is fairly low risk.

When I had a test they advised me that if I'd done anything in the previous three months that put me at risk then it may be necessary to re-test at a later date to be sure.

The HIV test is a very simple blood test, you don't have to undress for it or anythng although you might want to get tested for other STIs at the same time.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Right, i've been speaking to her ex bf a bit more about this and trying to work out the lies and the truth. It seems he may have made her paranoid. Hey has no basis or fact that she has anything. He is saying it's a worse case scenario, in that he thinks she may have *something* because she has had sex with more people than just him.

So she may not have HIV, and probably doesn't, but may have something, anything, just because shes had sex with more than 1 guy.

It looks like he has made her paranoid, telling her she may have something, for no other reason than paranoir, it's not based on fact of any kind.

It sorta makes me feel better, it also makes me think he's way too paranoid and it also makes me think it's some kind of sick joke. I hope it is some kinda sick joke.

*Edit* Her ex bf is now getting very angry at me texting him now because im trying to work out what is going on exactly. But it does seem like he is creating paranoir out of nothing. She did say he was a bit obsessive with her and werid, but i don't know him so can't comment.

This is all getting very confusing though, i wish people would just be straight and honest instead of playing these werid games. Don't worry, i will get tested, i'm not too worried, but i duno, it's just strange.
  • Options
    The chances of you catching HIV from a HIV positive girl are 300-1 to 1000-1 depending on which studies you look at.
    The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV for receptive penile-vaginal intercourse is 1 per 1000 exposures to an infected source.
    From Here.

Add to that the 100-1 chance of a condom not working (a guess btw) and the odds you caught it even if you were certain she had it would be between 30000-1 and 100000-1. And given the fact that she may or may not have HIV, the chances are practically nothing. Never any harm in getting tested though. But apparently it takes a minimum of 4 weeks to show up.
  • Options
    Knowing my luck i'd be that 1 in 100,000. Im less worried now, it seems her ex is just scaremongering. The way he is putting it is that she could have anything, and the worst thing she could have is HIV. And that's where it all stems from. Grrr.

The condoms didn't break, i always check them as the whole pregnancy thing bothers me too.
  • Options
    Go to hospital as they can give you meds that will reduce the chance of getting it by 75% (as in, if you had a 1 in 100,000 chance of getting it, you'll now have a 1 in 400,000 chance)

Bset of luck, always best to go see a doctor if you're concerned about your health though - that's what they get paid for!
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote: »
    Knowing my luck i'd be that 1 in 100,000. Im less worried now, it seems her ex is just scaremongering. The way he is putting it is that she could have anything, and the worst thing she could have is HIV. And that's where it all stems from. Grrr.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't get tested though. Other less potentially fatal STD's are more like a 1 in 10 chance.
  • Options
    Go to your GUM clinic and get a healthcheck done. Best way. They can rule out anything you may be worried about and then you don't need to worry.

A good lad last year at uni offered to take us all down there with him 'as a laugh' obviously round this age everyone is too sheepish to go on their own. But I bet my life if in 5 years time you've got something you wish you'd have gone for the bloody healthcheck...
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Go to hospital as they can give you meds that will reduce the chance of getting it by 75% (as in, if you had a 1 in 100,000 chance of getting it, you'll now have a 1 in 400,000 chance)

I think its quite unlikely that prophylactic antivirals would be given in this scenario - it sounds quite low risk (noone has actually tested HIV pos, it was protected sex and it happened at least 3 days ago).
  • Options
    Don't worry i will be getting checked out, one them things i always thought worth doing, even though im pretty careful. But this whole situation has just annoyed me greatly with the paranoir and lies and stuff :(
  • Options
    random why she didn't want to use one, a bit suspecious hehe
    hopfully you'll be fine, i don't think you can easily catch it during oral & as she thinks she may i think she just is worried with no evidence...
    i was told by the GUM clinic you have to wait 3 months before being tested for HIV as it doesnt show up straight away in your blood or somthing
    go to your nearest clinic or doctor to find out
    good luck x
  • Options
    Go and get tested and then go back 3 months after you slept with her, this wil test you both for antibodies now and after the "window period". While you're there get a full STI screen including a blood test for Syphilis. Good luck xx