Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

FAO Noog and other iPhone owners

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If it's unlocked, which in all likelihood it is (who's going to pay £300 and a 18 month £35 pcm contract?), do not update the software:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7017660.stm

Apple have designed it to cripple / render useless any devices that have been unlocked. I don't *think* it's legal actually, but apple can get away with it by saying by unlocking it you 'broke' it.

Comments

• Options
    Ah yeah i read that story a few days ago.

People will get round it - Give it time :)
  • Options
    I had my iPhone network unlocked exactly 2 weeks ago, Alot of people are just not going to update their software on the iphone until the phone has been unlocked again.

I've just set iTunes not to check for updates, sorted really!
  • Options
    Noog only replied because it had his name in the title :D
  • Options
    Well now you're warned, and sorted, what do you think of the matter?

Is it intentional or just because apple are a bit shit? Apparently simlocked phones as well have been suffering issues.

There's little doubt in my mind if it's intentional to 'brick' devices that have been tampered with it's not legal and apple are gonna get their pants sued off.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I'm already with O2 so I might upgrade when it comes out over here. Any news on the likely tarriff?

£35 pcm for 18 months plus £269 for the phone.

Not worth it!
  • Options
  • Options
    Much rather stick with my N95 thankyou very much :p
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »

Ouch :|. I got a much better deal getting mine from the states and unlocking it :).
  • Options
    200 minutes and 200 texts for £35, AND a start up fee. That's extortionate.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    200 minutes and 200 texts for £35, AND a start up fee. That's extortionate.

Mmm yeah it is a bit shit really :(. Glad i got mine when i did for the price i did :). If you unlock it then it's not a big problem, cos you aren't tied into the 18 month contract, but if o2 will only supply through them then you're limited to importing one from the states
  • Options
    Give it about a year to buy one :)
  • Options
    I've got a better camera than it offers, a better tariff on my K800i and an 80gb ipod so for me it's pointless.
  • Options
    I've got a better camera than it offers, a better tariff on my K800i and an 80gb ipod so for me it's pointless.

Does the iPhone even have a camera? :confused:

I must say I was tempted by them before I heard the tariffs. Thinking about them more and more, I'm not so sure they're a great idea. Surely battery life has to be an issue? All the time you're listening to music, watching videos, using the wireless internet it's draining your battery for when you want to make calls. I love using my iPod, but if it was also my phone, I'd be real paranoid about draining the battery, in case I needed to make a call later and I wasn't gonna be able to charge it. I think it's best to keep these things separate, so at least if the battery runs out in one, you've still got the other. The battery on my Sony Ericsson can go almost week without needing to be charged sometimes. I doubt an iPhone would last more than a couple of days if you were using it alot, which I do with my normal iPod and phone.
  • Options
    It does...

sc012.jpg
  • Options
    bit of a pish camera isn't it, given current technology?
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    bit of a pish camera isn't it, given current technology?

Well it's probably 2 megapixels as they can have a 3 megapixel sensor in the next one and obviously that's an 'upgrade'.

Megapixels is just a load of tosh.