Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

French or spanish?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Which would you say was better to do?
Im want to get into sales, advertising and marketing etc when i've finished uni, or even events management,
Im picking up a language alongside my degree, chose french at the mo, but can still swap so..?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They're fairly similar. Erm, I would say err. French? I'm not sure either will get you miles but it's good to put down. Once you learn one you should be able to learn the other
    Based on possible future travels to far off countries I'd pick Spanish :razz:
    Spanish. Without a doubt. There are more Spanish speakers than French in the world, and its a better language.
    Spanish.

It's easier and more useful in today's world.
    Advertising and marketing? Mandarin Chinese. It's the biggest emerging market. Out of French and Spanish, I'd say French will get you further in Europe, whereas Spanish will be more useful outside.

French = France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Canada and lots of Africa.

Spanish = Spain, most of central and South America, plus a sizable percentage of the US population.
    spanish but if you want a language for business then you want chinese globally or german within the eu. german is the most widely spoken native language on our continent.
    Id say French since youve already started it, and as I.W.S pointed out, its more widely spoken in Europe
    Spanish.

It's the fastest growing language in the world :yes:.
    Spanish by a country mile. c.500 million speakers in the world. Just done a degree in it so perhaps I'm a little biased.

I wish people would stop banging on about Chinese. The Chinese growth is unsustainable and not going to match Russian growth over the next 10-20 years. Mark my words.
    Spanish= more useful.
    Spanish by a country mile. c.500 million speakers in the world. Just done a degree in it so perhaps I'm a little biased.

I wish people would stop banging on about Chinese. The Chinese growth is unsustainable and not going to match Russian growth over the next 10-20 years. Mark my words.

Russian growth? :confused:

China's growth isn't sustainable but it will grow massively, as will / is India's. Russia's in a pretty poor state with people reluctant to invest for all sorts of reasons.
    Russia's got a hell of a lot of catching up to do to China though. And how long before ordinary Russians see any of that money? China's years ahead in terms of ordinary citizens having enough money to spend on crap. China will be the next big consumer country, and with 1bn people speaking the language, it'd be the perfect place to go for opportunities in marketing. The standard of living will be better for ordinary Chinese people long before ordinary Russians, and when it is, you'll have a market that's bigger than America and Europe combined. And just out of interest, what's your obsession with Russia anyway? You seem to feel the need to defend/promote it at every opportunity.

Incidentally, from what I can tell, money seems to be leaking out of Russia faster than you can say polonium-210, rather than being invested in it.

:confused:

The Russian population is declining at a fast rate, the only other countries that speak Russian are smaller satelliate States. Then again, I'm not saying Mandarin Chinese is exploding either but it'll be far more useful in future years than Russian.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    :confused:

The Russian population is declining at a fast rate, the only other countries that speak Russian are smaller satelliate States.
    Exactly, so much so in fact in September the government told Russians to take a day off and have sex all day, and whoever has a baby on Russia Day is entered into a prize draw. Sounds like a booming country to me!

To OP, I would go for Spanish if you are thinking international, and French for european personally.

Although I would love to study Mandarin Chinese, i think it could be too hard to pick up alongside your degree.
    French sounds sexier
    espcially english speaking frech accented men ;)
    katralla wrote: »
    espcially english speaking frech accented men ;)

phwoaaar :yum:
    They be lucky ladies what gets one of them, init.
    i woudl say Spanish, because it has more use in the new media and advertising world...