Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How disfiguiring is a lazy eye?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys and gals,

I'm currently doing a health pyschology course and am doing research on physical flaws and what impact it has on peoples lives...

So, my question is this; How disfiguiring is a lazy eye/squint (strabismus), and would it bother you?

Honest answers please folks!

Cheers x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think its one of those things thats easy to notice but people dont mention it (well people with manners) one of my friends has one, but it doesnt affect him much.
    surely you need permission from admins to ask this question ;)
    Hellfire wrote: »
    surely you need permission from admins to ask this question ;)

^ blah.

I don't think its particularly disfiguring. There are lots of more obvious and more difficult disfigurements IMO.
    I didn't realise Paris Hilton had a lazy eye until someone told me..so it can't be that bad. Saying that I wouldn't like to have one.
    I'm the same. I never realize somebody has a lazy eye until somebody mentions it, and then I usually still can't see it.
    depends.
    My FIL has one and i find it weird like i cant tell where hes looking. I find it quite noticeable as he has really dark eyes. Im more used to it as time goes on though. Its more a disconcerted feeling because im big on eye contact when talking
    I have a lazy eye and while in the past a lot of people noticed it, fewer do now. I remember when i first met my husband, apparently he noticed it straight away and thought "WTF" but he still went out with me and barely notices it anymore.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I know someone who has one and bizarrely you can only really notice it in photos and when he looks in the mirror. I was reading an interview with Gabriel this morning - she always covers hers with either an eye patch, her hair or dark glasses so it's become part of her overall image which is cool I reckon.
    My ex had a lazy eye, I never noticed until he told me and even then I forgot about it. It used to really upset him though and he got paranoid about it.
    I never notice things like that or anthing else to do with eyes, but I'm bad at making eye contact when I speak, it makes me nervous.
    I had a lazt eye when I was little, although I had an operation to correct it, so I don't have a noticeable one now, it just affects what I can see, rather than how i look. The only time it's been noticeable since then, is if I've been very very tired, and then it's occasionally taken a fraction longer to move than the other one, so people had had a quick glimpse of it :p
    **Helen** wrote: »
    I know someone who has one and bizarrely you can only really notice it in photos and when he looks in the mirror. I was reading an interview with Gabriel this morning - she always covers hers with either an eye patch, her hair or dark glasses so it's become part of her overall image which is cool I reckon.
    Hasn't she got a droopy eyelid, rather than lazy eye?

I have strabismus, but it's intermittent - usually only happens when I'm tired or can't be bothered to focus. It's not one that people notice, fortunately!
    I know someone who has one and bizarrely you can only really notice it in photos and when he looks in the mirror..

I have that as well..... :(
    I do know a couple of people with them but it doesnt really bother me. I dont even notice it half the time.
    no more disfiguring than any other form of asymmetry of the face.

my bloke has a slight lazy eye and i dont even notice it. Sometimes it shows in photos but i still love the way his face looks.
    My dad has a lazy eye and you can't tell by looking at him.
    I have a lazy eye and astigmatism. I used to get bullied for it but in the past couple of years it hasn't been very noticeable (actually when I point it out people say that they think its my other eye that's lazy!)

Nowadays mine is only really noticeable in some photos and if I'm really tired or stare but I still get really paranoid about it and actually refocus my eyes every few seconds when speaking to people I don't know well or don't feel comfortable with so they don't notice - how fucked up is that!

My eyesight in my lazy eye is terrible though.
    I get a lazy eye when I've had too many pills. :blush:
    I was diagnosed with a lazy eye when I was little. I used to have to wear a patch to correct it.
    Using a patch (also known as occulation). A patch is placed over the good eye so that the lazy eye is forced to work. The length of time the child will need to wear the patch will depend on how old they are, and how serious the problem is. Most children will need to wear the patch for a few hours a day for several weeks. While the patch is on, the child should do close-up activities, such as colouring, reading or schoolwork. Patches can be worn with glasses.

The other kids used to call me a pirate! It helped as my left eye is no longer lazy, but I'm also short sighted so should still wear glasses (I don't 'cos I'm stupid and can't find them)
    I have one aunt who has a lazy eye and it actually looks nice and suits her! My other aunt has cross eye which is quite funny cos when shes really studying something the eye narrows in and its quite funny!

I remember when I was younger and I saw my second aunt I always wondered if she could see properly lol.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Blah wrote: »

my bloke has a slight lazy eye and i dont even notice it. Sometimes it shows in photos but i still love the way his face looks.

:yes:
    i have one.
    i sometimes feel self-concious when talk face to face with someone but i forget i haveit a lot of the time.
    my bf thinks its cute though.
    I have a squint. When I was about 4, they did try to correct it use patches. (plasters, basically) It only shows up when I'm tired.
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with a lazy eye when I was little. I used to have to wear a patch to correct it.

I had to wear a patch too. It was stuck on with that fabric plaster stuff that really smells of antiseptic, I can't smell that stuff without remembering it now! Don't really remember other kids reactions, just that I hated not being able to see properly, and it didn't improve the eyesight in my lazy eye.
    My left eye is lazy, and it's mildly annoying (I have limited vision out of my left eye because of it) but it's not exactly disfiguring. I used to wear a patch when I was a toddler, but I kept hurting myself by walking into things so my mum refused to let me wear it.

The worst thing is that when I get tired my eye tends to wander off a bit, or my eye goes a bit bloodshot, but you wouldn't notice unless you were staring at me.
    Thanks for all your answers guys, you've been a great help:)
    I used to have one, but I had an operation when I was about 3, I'm glad my parents chose that, my mate at school had a lazy eye and the lads used to tease her all the time about it.
    Hasn't she got a droopy eyelid, rather than lazy eye?

I have strabismus, but it's intermittent - usually only happens when I'm tired or can't be bothered to focus. It's not one that people notice, fortunately!

same as!
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster

I read that as well in the train paper.

I don't think it would bother me if someone else had one, but I know I would hate it if I did.
    I would be pretty self-conscious if I had one, but I'm sure I would grow out of it. I don't find it to be a problem when other people have them. I hardly notice.