Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Teetotalism

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Mark is happy for people to drink alcohol, but is fed up of people giving him a hard time for not doing having a pint himself.

Have a read.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well done Helen. You found someone sane this time. :p

I'd just like to say that not every drinker views non-drinkers as boring. Surprised yes, (I mean there's not many 22 year old fellas that don't drink so yes it's a surprise,) but boring, no. I know plenty of cunts who are boring sober, and boring drunk. Then again there are people who are stacks of craic when sober so there's no problem really with a persons choice.
    Kind of a fair and balanced rant, for a change!

I've been through times of being teetotal, and sometimes you do seem the odd one out. Didn't bother me. :)
    I don't think non-drinkers are boring, but I am sometimes a bit suspicious or wary of them, unless they're driving.

If you're out in a big group and everyone's getting merry, acting the fool, you sometimes don't feel as at ease unless everyone's in the same boat as you. It's ok to act the fool in front of drunkards, but not someone sober as a judge who will remember everything you say and do.
    Addict wrote: »
    If you're out in a big group and everyone's getting merry, acting the fool, you sometimes don't feel as at ease unless everyone's in the same boat as you. It's ok to act the fool in front of drunkards, but not someone sober as a judge who will remember everything you say and do.

:yes: Agreed. The same goes for being on certain illegal drugs with people who aren't.

However, I totally respect tetotallers and I can definately see this guys point of view. I don't view teetotallers as boring and sometimes I wish that I could be one for a while. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to go on a bit of a detox right now for many reasons.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Well done Helen. You found someone sane this time. :p

*takes a bow* :razz:
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    :yes: Agreed. The same goes for being on certain illegal drugs with people who aren't.

x2

if it was one of my friends id prefer that they were sittin drinking or indulging in the same stuff as others so everyones on the same buzz/level or it is a bit odd

other than that i couldnt care less about someone elses drinking (or lack of drinking) habits
    Tis true. Often when sober people are out with drunk people they get sorta insulted cause everyones like rahhhh .

But i can understand not wishing to drunk n stuff, years of excessive drinking and drug abuse have taken their toll on me, often wonder how i would be with out that.
    Non - Drinker = Free Taxi Home :thumb:

Nah, only kidding. Doesn't bother me in theory. Would be strange if the non drinker was the majority in a group tho obv.
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    Tis true. Often when sober people are out with drunk people they get sorta insulted cause everyones like rahhhh .

Hmm...

Do they actually get insulted and judge, or do you just think they do?
    Good rant!

I've never drunk alcohol or taken any drugs, and when people find that out, they respond with the most amazing amount of shock. And then assume you're boring, or prudish, or whatever.

But it's just a choice, isn't it? And the reaction you get is SO over the top. It's a bit like someone saying they drink fresh orange without bits in, cause they don't like it with, and everyone going, "WHAT?????!?!?!?! WHY????!?!?! :eek: "
    kaffrin wrote: »

I've never drunk alcohol or taken any drugs, and when people find that out, they respond with the most amazing amount of shock.

Tbh I would be pretty shocked to hear that from somebody.

And then assume you're boring, or prudish, or whatever.

I wouldn't assume this tho.
    I think the only time it's weird is when it seems they're not enjoying themselves. I have a friend who doesnt drink and she tends to just sit in a corner. We don't get drunk, just tipsy but it can feel uncomfortable.
    I don't think non-drinkers are boring, but I am sometimes a bit suspicious or wary of them, unless they're driving.

How come?:confused:

When I'm out with my friends, I tend not to drink alot, partly because I get drunk so easily.
    cuz they're all party of the secret society :nervous:
    yeh i think its stupid to quiz people over why there not drinkin when they go out....its there choice....different people....different buzz's....i have a few mates who don't drink and they dont need...they go out and have the craic with everyone else and wake up feeling fine.....ah well i still wouldnt trade in a stinkin hangover and a mad night for a fresh head and good memory!:D
    Melian wrote: »
    How come?:confused:

When I'm out with my friends, I tend not to drink alot, partly because I get drunk so easily.

Yea, fair enough, you don't drink alot because you get drunk easily.

It's the people who come out, and don't drink at all, even though they're not driving, that I'm wary off.
    Yea, fair enough, you don't drink alot because you get drunk easily.

It's the people who come out, and don't drink at all, even though they're not driving, that I'm wary off.

Why are you wary of them? We're still normal people, with very valid reasons for not drinking.

Like Kaff said, it's like saying "Ooo, I'm wary of those people who don't like bananas, there must be something dodgy about them...".
    Why are you wary of them? We're still normal people, with very valid reasons for not drinking.

Like Kaff said, it's like saying "Ooo, I'm wary of those people who don't like bananas, there must be something dodgy about them...".

I think what he means is that it can sometimes feel a bit intimidating when you're off your face, saying and doing all kinds of mad stuff, when there's someone sober with you who doesn't join in with your anticas, may find the way you're acting rather strange, and remembers everything you do the next day in great disturbing detail. It can make you very paranoid and slightly ruin your buzz because you feel you can't just let yourself go.
    I've never drunk alcohol or taken any drugs, and when people find that out, they respond with the most amazing amount of shock.

To be fair, I would be a bit shocked if an adult had never tried coffee, pizza, or any other widespread legal product. Illegal drugs are different, because it's quite easy to avoid being in the situation where you're offered them with any regularity.

Gotta say I agree with the article. I only tend to drink when I'm actually going out on a weekend. I don't usually have one or two on a weekend, and one of the best things I like about having a car, is that you have an excuse not to have a drink. Not that I was that weak-willed that I could be convinced by people telling me to have a "proper drink," but it just shuts people up quicker. And I really shouldn't have to.

Also on a weekend, I enjoy a good drinking session, but I know my limits (usually), and I'll start drinking water after a while, and fuck what anyone else thinks.
    Good rant!

I've never drunk alcohol or taken any drugs, and when people find that out, they respond with the most amazing amount of shock. And then assume you're boring, or prudish, or whatever.

I'm a bit surprised by the never had alcohol bit.

I've never smoked or taken drugs and I hate beer - but do like alcholic drinks which taste slightly sweet like cider, alcopop, perry, etc and mixed drinks like shandy, barcadi and coke, etc

But I rarely get drunk - last time was when I was on holiday in Spain and ended up with a jug full of Sangria and all my friend had disappeared god knows where .. couldn't let it go to waste .. ;)
    To be fair, I would be a bit shocked if an adult had never tried coffee, pizza, or any other widespread legal product. Illegal drugs are different, because it's quite easy to avoid being in the situation where you're offered them with any regularity.

To clear up, I have tried alcohol and minor stuff like smoking weed. I just quickly decided they weren't for me. I know I made it sound a bit like I'd never tried owt but had totally written off anything of the sort. I just have more fun sober. My buzz comes from being out and having a laugh. And yes, I do join in with stuff, so no need to be wary of me :p
    I think what he means is that it can sometimes feel a bit intimidating when you're off your face, saying and doing all kinds of mad stuff, when there's someone sober with you who doesn't join in with your anticas, may find the way you're acting rather strange, and remembers everything you do the next day in great disturbing detail. It can make you very paranoid and slightly ruin your buzz because you feel you can't just let yourself go.

But that's your perception of the situation, and not the fault of the person who doesn't drink. I go out to the pub with friends, and have a really good time. I'm there to be with my friends, not to drink, and never ever judge them on their drunken antics. None of my friends judge me on my lack of drink, and they don't feel wary about being drunk in front of me.
    It does tend to be strangers who have the most problem with it. I have had a couple of situations with people I've only just met, where their disbelief and questioning over my lack of alcohol was immediately followed up by their offer of a drink. It's sad that I've had to turn them down - there are people who are so horrified by the thought of no alcohol that they will want to try and 'test' you by buying you an alcoholic drink and pretending it isn't.
    I still can't see why alcohol is any different to anything else that people don't like. I don't like coffee either, for actually very similar reasons. Do you think I'm weird for that too and should be treated with wariness?

Ahh why give a toss though!

You get the same with alcohol anyway, whats worse you don't remember any of it! I've done far sillier things on booze than I have any other drug!

no because sitting eating bananas with your friends is completely different to sitting getting drunk with your friends. it's a non-comparison.

i'm just wary of the sober person who sits watching as everyone else gets merrily drunk. they're the person who will remember everything. i like having drunken chats with my friends, talking all sorts of crap and having a laugh. don't feel i could let go in the same way with someone sober if i was drunk. it's just a personal view - i'm not asking you to agree with it.
    I've been both one of the drunks and one of the teetotalers and I think people should just do as they are comfortable with and mind they're own business.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I never drink and don't want to (for personal reasons).
    If you think that if you get drunk you'll do something embarassing and you don't want peope to remember you did it, simply don't get drunk. If you do it it's a risk you're taking that you'll be acting like a fool. You can't blame somebody else for not drinking!
    If you think that if you get drunk you'll do something embarassing and you don't want peope to remember you did it, simply don't get drunk. If you do it it's a risk you're taking that you'll be acting like a fool. You can't blame somebody else for not drinking!

Oh I'm not blaming anyone, as I said, I have alot of repsect for teetotallers and I admire them for sticking with something they believe in.

I was just explaining why it can be a bit intimidating being around sober people when you're smashed.

I don't give a fuck if it's random people in a shop or behind a bar, but when it's people you know you'll see again quite soon then it can be a bit of a buzz blower.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Oh all right, I guess I misunderstood. :)
    Addict said "I'm wary" and I understood that to mean "wary" in the same way that one is wary of the unwashed guy who sits on the next table and giggles while staring at you and sharpening a knife. :p

It's not about doing something embarassing, it's just about feeling like you can't let go in front of sober people, in case you make them feel uncomfortable or something. For instance, when my friends and I get together for drinks, the chat and banter can be so crass at times. It's fine when everyone's drunk and merry, but I doubt we'd feel as comfortable with someone sober who remembers everything we say. We also wouldn't want to make them feel uncomfortable.
    It's not about doing something embarassing, it's just about feeling like you can't let go in front of sober people, in case you make them feel uncomfortable or something. For instance, when my friends and I get together for drinks, the chat and banter can be so crass at times. It's fine when everyone's drunk and merry, but I doubt we'd feel as comfortable with someone sober who remembers everything we say. We also wouldn't want to make them feel uncomfortable.

Exactly.

Like I went to a rave in Brighton the other night, and one of the guys that came with us doesn't take drugs. He wasn't even drinking because he was driving... he enjoyed himself because he loves the music, but he's rather narrow minded and sheltered when it comes to drug use and I think he was rather shocked when I was dabbing MDMA in the middle of the club.