Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What to do?! Teach abroad or work her

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

Well I graduated from unviversity in July and have recently been offered a job by an oil company with a 26k starting salery. Which is kinda cool, but the job isnt exactly what i hoped to be doing after university.

I applied to this company a while back, whilst waiting on feedback from them I applied to teach english abroad with a company called Korea. Well as luck has it they also have offered me a job to start in december. All and all I'm quite undecided. The sensible option would be stay here and take the job from the oil company but part of me wants to say fuck it go abroad and have a blast in Asia!! My parents have been supportive although i can tell they want me to stay here.

Any views to help me out?:chin:

Comments

• Options
    Doesn't sound like you're really interested in the oil job. Just quickly, you are in the UK right? And that 26k is pounds? I think that you're at the stage in your life where you can afford to do what you want to do, rather than what you need to do. it sounds like whatever you choose, you won't be doing it for too long anyway, so it just depends on what you want out of it. Which will give you the best experiences? Which will give you the most money? Which will look better on a CV? Apparently teaching abroad is an extremely good addition to a CV btw. To me, it comes down to whether you want to have a bit of cash saved up at the end of a few years, or a load of unique experiences, friends from all over the world, and in many cases, a new home. Also, don't rule out doing both. Sounds like the oil job would give you plenty of money to make the most of your visit to Asia, and TEFL companies are hiring constantly.

I'm currently going through interviews for Japan, so I might be a bit biased on the whole TEFL thing.
  • Options
    I would take the oil job.
  • Options
    I was kind of in a similar situation when I finished uni. It wasnt an oil job, but politics job, which I took. Looking back I wish I had gone traveling or went to teach abroad.

The decission needs to be yours, but think about things. IMO Lifes too short.

Go and live a bit. :thumb:
  • Options
    if you do end up teaching abroad, then it wouldn't just be a vase of going there and teaching. You'd pick up stuff that they do and maybe learn the language as well.
  • Options
    Without a shadow of a doubt - GO ABROAD!

New experiences, new places, new faces everytime over a 'respectable salary and routine' (though obviously there is a degree of routine involved in TEFL abroad ;))

Though Korea wouldn't be my first... or 50th choice.
  • Options
    I take the teaching job

you've got the rest of your life to be stuck in a job you hate .. LOL

see new things have new experiences ..
  • Options
    if they are offering you a job now, it should be even easier to get a similar (or better) job when you return with teaching abroad on your cv.

or you could do the oil job for a year or so, save up some money, and then go travelling for even longer. and then return with even more experience.