Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

british gas being c**ts

Since we moved in theyve been trying to get us to pay the bill for the last people who lived here who buggered off without paying. When we moved in, we spoke to them telling them when we moved in and to send us a bill for that - that wrote back sending a bill for £200 for way before.
We phoned, no, thats not what we owe, can you sort the bill out with what WE owe so we can pay it properly, they said oh thats fine, we`ll send you a revised bill. They send another one exactly the same. We call. tell them, they say they cant do anything about it etc. We argue, they hang up.

Now theyve sent the debt on to someone else :mad:
I have absolutely no intention of paying for someone elses bills. I can barely afford my own but is there anything we can do now?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes. Write to them exlpaining it, with proof of your moving in date.

It'll then resolve itself once you also threaten to take them to OFGEM in the same letter.
  • Options
    Sounds a lot like the problems we had. We swapped to NPower because British Gas were pissing us off over one thing or another. When we did so they sent us a final bill that was absolutely HUGE! There was no way in a million years we owed that much since we are really careful about the utility bills. We called them several times to no avail and then eventually I called up and asked straight away for a superviser. The adviser didn't want to put one on without knowing what we wanted first but I persisted and eventually got a superviser and was told no more atrocious bills would come. We then moved house. We got the same bill at our new house for our old property because the letting agency told them our forwarding address! ARGH!

It's sorted now. We didn't even have to pay the money we owed in the end because we demanded compensation. I was really quite ill when I got the red letter demanding payment or the bailiffs would be coming over, so we palyed on that.
  • Options
    I had this problem when I moved into my house, I switched suppliers after a month because British Gas are so expensive I eventually got the correct bill 6 months after I moved in and they still send huge bills (and now baliff letters) for the previous owners despite repeatidly telling them they don't live there anymore.
  • Options
    My workmate also had a similar problem with their house. And theirs was new :|
  • Options
    We've had this same kind of problem.

In november last year we bought a house from my boyfriends parents, they were with british gas but we used powergen. We rang to tell then we were changing, said it would take 28 days so fair enough we expected a bill from them for the month.

January/February bf's parents recieved a bill to our house, not their new one (where they're continuing the service with them) which had on it a cancellation fee despite still being with them and was from october until january.

Took the bill to his parents and they rang so many times and sent in several letters as we kept getting red bills for them. Obv they weren't going to pay as they hadn't cancelled and only used them in our house for the month of that bill, yet british gas couldn't figure out that it should have been 2 seperate bills.

Anyway, despite ringing up god knows how many times to get it sorted his parents got a letter from a solicitor threatening to take them to court. In the end they paid the bill and british gas said they would rectify it so they're only paying what they owe, and would get the rest back. This was about 2 months ago now and they've heard nothing since.

We never got the bill from november to january, what a screw up!

In conclusion, sorry that was so long, but I'm not sure what to suggest as they still haven't sorted out problem yet either. If you have the meter readings for when you moved I'd send them a threatening letter telling them of dates etc and possibly speak to citizens advice.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    They did the same thing to us on our electric, one swift phone call and it was sorted.

Funnily enough Yorkshire Water did the same......
  • Options
    Is the bill addressed to you or the old occupiers? Ifs it the old ones send everything back "unknown at address". If its addressed to you send a recorded letter stating when you moved in, the meter reading you have , provide details of any previous correspondance and contact the regulatory body if it carries on.
  • Options
    I work for another power company (wont say which one) and British Gas are a nightmare, even with us.

9 out of every 10 complaints are about British Gas.

Changing over the tenancy and starting you from zero when you moved in, is a simple job.

Contact Energywatch, as they are the people you complain to. If a customer has contacted Energywatch they get super fast treatment from us as Energywatch can fine us.

British Gas however dont seem to care, basically they have receive more complaints than every other energy company combined. Contact Energywatch and enlist their help.

Good luck (your going to need it with BG) :thumb:
  • Options
    thanks for your help everyone. It wont be difficult to prove when we moved in as its with a letting agency. Weve switched to powergen quite a while ago as well.
  • Options
    thanks for your help everyone. It wont be difficult to prove when we moved in as its with a letting agency. Weve switched to powergen quite a while ago as well.

Are you getting billed from Powergen? If your not British Gas might have prevented you leaving.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I work for another power company (wont say which one) and British Gas are a nightmare, even with us.

Calvin, you're in Newcastle so could it be NPower? If so, you probably know all my male friends since they ALL work there!

As for the topic being discussed, I can well imagine the number of complaints you get about British Gas. We tell anyone who'll listen how atrocious they are! :impissed:
  • Options
    Maybe Calvin IS one of your friends but you have never realised it is him on here :chin:
  • Options
    Maybe Calvin IS one of your friends but you have never realised it is him on here :chin:

You should be a detective you should KHSS :p
  • Options
    Only if I can have a Sherlock Holmes hat and tap dance like Dick van Dyke.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    You should be a detective you should KHSS :p

I think they're probably all too busy playing world of warcraft to visit humble message boards / forums.
  • Options
    Just write to them and explain everything. If they start harrassing you, just quote the OFT's guidelines on debt recovery.

nPower are being fuckers with me since we changed gas supply, they won't send a correct bill out and even told my sister-in-law (who was visiting the house) that I had a debt. I've written to them and heard nothing since. Last time they tried to be fuckers I made their collections guy start crying, and got a grovelling apology signed by a real person, so we shall see.

Be as big a twat as possible. If you want a hand writing a letter send me a PM and I'll throw something together at work for you.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Calvin, you're in Newcastle so could it be NPower?

:no:
    If so, you probably know all my male friends since they ALL work there!

:no:
  • Options
    Grr... my mum is having trouble with British Gas now too.
    They sent out a new bill cos they underestimated gas usuage, the time period being bloody 2001-2003?! this bill came as a final without any warning, and they're saying they are passing it onto debt collectors soon ¬__¬
  • Options
    Grr... my mum is having trouble with British Gas now too.
    They sent out a new bill cos they underestimated gas usuage, the time period being bloody 2001-2003?! this bill came as a final without any warning, and they're saying they are passing it onto debt collectors soon ¬__¬

Tell them to go and fuck themselves. Energy companies can only bill you from a maximum of 2 years ago.

As long as this is a new bill and the haven't been chasing you since 2003.

I had a bill the other day sent out in Sept 07, we were trying to charge from July 99- Aug 2000. Nothing we could do apart from write it off.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Nope, it's most definately a new bill, glad to know we can tell them where they can stick their bill then, cheers dude :)
  • Options
    My problems with British Gas continue.

They've sent us the Electricity bill for 8th August - 17th September for £270!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    My problems with British Gas continue.

They've sent us the Electricity bill for 8th August - 17th September for £270!!!!!!!!!

It will be an estimate.
  • Options
    Yeah. Despite the fact I gave them a meter reading of 14620 when I moved in they have charged me from 11363!

Arseholes!
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Yeah. Despite the fact I gave them a meter reading of 14620 when I moved in they have charged me from 11363!

Arseholes!

Get them to check with on the previous tenants account. Their account should end with 14620 when you moved in. If it doesnt kick off, its sometimes they only way to get it sorted.