Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Salary offered for job?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was recently interviewed for a part time job, and have since been offered the position. I got the interview through a recruiting agency, and the salary was not advertised, although the guy at the agency said it would be higher than another job I'd looked at through them.

When I was at the interview, one of the questions I was asked was something along the lines of "what were your expectation for the salary of the position"... I've never come across this question before, and since I didn't actually know, it threw me slightly. I came up with a rough figure that didn't sound ridiculous.

They've now offered me the job, but I'm not sure what the salary will be yet. Is it possible they'll have based it on my answer? Is that allowed? If so, obviously I would have said a higher amount, as I didn't really know what to say during the interview. I need to get in touch with the company to find out, but I just wanted to know whether it's possible they could do something like that, and also whether I'd be able to haggle them if they make a poor offer on the salary.

Many thanks for any answers...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what kind of job is it?
    Ask what the salary is before you give them your answer.

I imagine they may have used your number to decide what salary you will get, and you're in a tight position if they do as it's a bit daft saying you were expecting a certain amount then go demanding higher once they've actually offered it to you.

You could give it a try though, but they might decide to back down with the job offer. Decide now what is acceptable to you because if you figure out this is lower than you really want you need to be able to stand your ground on this one and decide if you'll rather seek it elsewhere.

Good luck!
    And the lesson is not to say a figure but to suggest that you would be open to offers...
    I had this problem recently. My idea was to avoid directly answering the question.

Well it was a job in politics after all.

Start as you mean to go on :D
    quite often they ask because they won't bother offering the job to some one who is expecting more than they're willing to pay.

Phone them and then compare the pay they're offering with similar jobs, or ask your agency!
    The interview i had for my current (recently new) job was great, i expected what they were going to offer me anyway.
    Asta wrote: »
    quite often they ask because they won't bother offering the job to some one who is expecting more than they're willing to pay.

:yes:

That's one reason. It can also help assess if they're getting someone at the right level.

And it can be a good way of them not paying you more than they have to. If they have a budget of up to £20k for a job, and you say you're expecting £16k, they have magically saved themselves £4000 a year ;)
    If you got the interview through a recruitment agency it's really their job to negotiate the best salary for you that they can. You should speak to them about what you're hoping got get and they can act as a go-between. It's one of the best bits about using an agency as you can avoid the awkward money conversations.

If I were you, I'd call the agent now and talk it through with them.
    I think the horse has rather bolted now if you've already said a figure. The moral would seem to be to either be vague, or, if you do say a figure, make sure it's one you are happy with.