Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

timetable for applying to uni and ect..?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i'm getting so confused...

when am i meant to be doing my ucas application?
when am i meant to be putting in for my DSA, cos i can only seem to find 2007/2008 forms atm?
when am i meant to be sorting out my student finance?

i'm starting to freak with all the paper work...

is there any good uni survival books? i think i'm going to need it before hand....cos i cannot get my head around it....
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think it depends on what route/course you want to do. Now would be a good time to start applying for everything. I think the deadline is something lie Feb/March.
  • Options
    For application for 08/09 entry, you can apply now I think, and you have until Jan/March depending on whether you're route A or route B.

You can apply for student finance any time during your application to uni - as long as you know which uni you'll b going to (or most likely going to) and what course. There's really no deadlines for student finance, you can apply for it halfway through the course if you want to!

Again, you can apply for DSA at any time during your studies, I applied for mine 2 or 3 months before term.

UCAS should publish a timetable on their website somewhere. There's a very helpful PDF about how to apply, I think click on 'how to apply' and it should have a pdf document about it somewhere.
  • Options
    whats the difference between A and B
  • Options
    UCAS applications for next year have started, BUT don't let that worry you.

The deadline is mid January for most things, mid October for Oxbridge, Medicine, Vet and Dentistry.

Start thinking about what you are going to write in your personnal statement, your choices of uni's and courses and generally what you are going to put on your UCAS form now.

Aim to get the form (online) sent off to UCAS by the end of November (you'll beat the last minute rush and it will make you look good).

Instructions about student finance should come your way automatically. You can either do it online or on paper, and you get the forms either from college or your LEA. 'Deadlines' for finance are fairly flexible, but the earliest deadline *should* guarentee your money for the start of term and that is mid April. You can usually start applying from January.

DSA wise, look at the info that's around now for 2007-08, it won't change much. That way you'll know how the system works. By November/Christmas time when the new intake are all sorted the stuff for next year will come out.

So, in order.

Now - Start planning content of UCAS form.

Late November - Submit UCAS form (or sooner if you're all done)

January - Student finance info out, DSA info out. Start the ball rolling.

Late March - If at all possible get your finance forms in by now.

Keep going with DSA etc.

Sept/Oct, start uni.

xx
  • Options
    i just need to think about what uni i want to go to now...

i was thinking uni of westminster, but i've been told that it's not so good...

and brunel is a possible but the course is quite different from what i'd idealy want to do (creative music tech rather than commercial music)

otherwise bath spa...though i really want to stay in london....cos the music scene is here and so are my friends and "support network"
  • Options
    Have you gone to any open days yet? You need to remember that on your form, you put down 6 choices or something like that.
  • Options
    went to westminster and it seemed quite good, very good lecturers, and ok equipment...campus was great....
  • Options
    If you've got 5/6 you want (or less) then apply to them all, and deal with which one you want to go to when you get offers back.
  • Options
    My only advice would be to apply for the student loans and get the financial stuff sorted as soon as March comes. Get it out of the way early. I didn't this year, due to various circumstances, and I'm really gonna pay for it - my loan isn't due for several weeks. Don't make the same mistake.
  • Options
    What is DSA?

i am filling in my ucas form right now. i want to get it out of the way and then atleast i know i've not left it too late.

i'm going to my open day on saturday, im excited!
  • Options
    DSA = Disabled Students Allowance
  • Options
    Sort your student loan out as soon as is physically possible.

You don't want to end up not being able to go out after 2 weeks because your LEA are being utter dickheads (my mum had to get the local MP involved, and I still don't know when I'm getting my fucking money) and you've run out of money.

I would say apply as soon as you feel ready to, but make sure you know where you really want to go. And make sure your Personal Statement is tip-top.