Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cannabis U-Turn and mental health???

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's just scare mongering BS.

Come on, how many people do you know who have EVER got psychosis from smoking pot?! :confused:

Even if it IS dangerous, who in the heck is Gordon Brown to say what people can smoke?

Well, the Prime Minister who is part of the law making process that decides if you should go to jail for things is who he is.

And a "mate" of mine, from not so long ago, didnt get pyschosis, well i don't know but he smoked weed all the time and was a total nutcase mentalist! Whether that was just how he was anyway i dont know, i only met him after he had already started smoking.
  • Options
    I still remain sceptical. I bet the number of psychosis sufferers from pot is small anyhow.
  • Options
    smellycat wrote: »
    lol @ people who say it has no effect
    you have to be an idiot to do drugs in the first place

Why?

Humans like doing things which give them pleasure. This is probably the primary reason why people do drugs.

Can you say you've never done something which makes you feel good? To stop people completely from taking drugs you have to change human nature. :yes:
  • Options
    I still remain sceptical. I bet the number of psychosis sufferers from pot is small anyhow.

Read the paper every other day and theres some murderer connected to the drug. I can admit, from experience, it sent me 'weird' smoking it everyday, so much so it scared me a little bit. Stupid, unnecessary thoughts started polluting everyday life to a point I was a bit of wreck. I definitely wasn't myself and I'd never go there again.

The odd spliff is all well and good, and I will smoke pissed or high on other drugs, but smoking it casually, daily, is a bad idea I'd say. Its class wont deter, but at least it sends out a stronger signal to its users/potential users that its long term effects are quite damaging.
  • Options
    Cannabis definitely has the potential to adversely affect mental health for some people.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Cannabis definitely has the potential to adversely affect mental health for some people.

Not me. :shocking: :crazyeyes :D

Me good boy now. Hehe. :yum:
  • Options
    It's just scare mongering BS.

Come on, how many people do you know who have EVER got psychosis from smoking pot?! :confused:

Obviously putting a number on it is impossible, but early use does seem to be linked to later mental health problems, though its a complex picture because some people are far more likely to be harmed as there is a genetic link.

To suggest that cannabis is harmless is foolish.
  • Options
    MancDan wrote: »
    Read the paper every other day and theres some murderer connected to the drug. I can admit, from experience, it sent me 'weird' smoking it everyday, so much so it scared me a little bit. Stupid, unnecessary thoughts started polluting everyday life to a point I was a bit of wreck. I definitely wasn't myself and I'd never go there again.

The odd spliff is all well and good, and I will smoke pissed or high on other drugs, but smoking it casually, daily, is a bad idea I'd say. Its class wont deter, but at least it sends out a stronger signal to its users/potential users that its long term effects are quite damaging.

Lets not get carried away, although some users with mental health problems have killed others or themselves doesnt mean there is 'one every other day'.

And no, the classification will make no difference what so ever, use of cannabis has actually fallen since it was moved to Class C and cocaine use has gone up (while being Class A) - there is no deterant factor what so ever.
  • Options
    And no, the classification will make no difference what so ever, use of cannabis has actually fallen since it was moved to Class C and cocaine use has gone up (while being Class A) - there is no deterant factor what so ever.

Not that I don't believe you, but could you post some paper/journal sources for those two claims, I might have need of them for some work...
  • Options
    Not that I don't believe you, but could you post some paper/journal sources for those two claims, I might have need of them for some work...

Its in an ONS report called Statistics on Drug Misuse, the details are discussed in depth in the Transform blog (which is highly worth reading);

http://transform-drugs.blogspot.com/2007/04/new-report-drug-use-amongst-11-year.html
  • Options
    thanks, i'll use that
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Lets not get carried away, although some users with mental health problems have killed others or themselves doesnt mean there is 'one every other day'.

What I meant was, theres a story about some murdering nut linked with cannabis use in the paper every other day, not an actual 'murder' every other day.
  • Options
    I don't know about this one. Drugs effect everyone diffently but i think Gordan Brown is wasting his time putting cannabis up to class 'B' i mean, people are still gonna smoke it right?
  • Options
    To be honest putting it up to class B will only push up crime statistics.Maybe if it was legal and sold openly in shops there might be guidlines to the legal strentgh of cannabis or how much you should smoke a day aswell as the health risks posted every where so people know what they are doing to themselves.
  • Options
    lozzer wrote: »
    To be honest putting it up to class B will only push up crime statistics.Maybe if it was legal and sold openly in shops there might be guidlines to the legal strentgh of cannabis or how much you should smoke a day aswell as the health risks posted every where so people know what they are doing to themselves.

Yes, but that would be the obvious harm reduction route to take so the government would never try that.
  • Options
    MancDan, are u crazy?!? - ecstacy is soooo much more dangerous than weed, if u a get a bad pill and just take even one, u could have a heart attack and die whereas one spliff sure as hell ain't going to kill u!

the truth is everything in moderation, excessive use of anything is going to do damage. as a psychologist i would say that ecstacy is more likely to do damage than marijuana. One of the only reasons weed isn't legal is because so many people grow their own and more would if legalised, therefore there would be no revenue for the tax man!

I think we all need to have a close look at amsterdam. Weed is readily available, there are no dodgy dealers out on the streets scamming people and therefore they have reduced crime rate in that area compared to the uk. They all live in harmony!

As for schizophrenics etc. wouldn't that indicate that most of the generation around for the 60's/70's would be nutters?

i've finished ranting now! :)
  • Options
    hana wrote: »
    Weed is readily available, there are no dodgy dealers out on the streets scamming people

:lol:
  • Options
    when was the last time u went to amsterdam then?
  • Options
    My thoughts are so mixed on this its unbelievable.

One thing is for sure though canabis is dangerous. But no more so than alcohol IMO.. so .. legalise and regulate it I guess would be the logical answer..

But I dunno, I reckon a lot more youngsters drink than smoke weed, and I think that's because alcohol is legal so has less stigma etc attached to it, I wouldn't want to see more of the youth starting to smoke or smoke heavier.. so

meh, round and round we go
  • Options
    meh, round and round we go

too true!
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Making it class B again will do fuck all.

What downgrading it did do was give a bit of perspective. Drug calssifictaion is a mess, ecstasy in the same class as crack cocaine? What a fucking joke.

:yes:
  • Options
    MancDan, are u crazy?!? - ecstacy is soooo much more dangerous than weed, if u a get a bad pill and just take even one, u could have a heart attack and die whereas one spliff sure as hell ain't going to kill u!
    Hence I believe that ecstacy should be legalised and regulated, perhaps with licensed sellers or something, so people aren't getting bar pills with smack or whatever the fuck some scum can put in them.

Tbh, I don't see E being that dangerous compared to some drugs... If at all.
    the truth is everything in moderation, excessive use of anything is going to do damage. as a psychologist i would say that ecstacy is more likely to do damage than marijuana. One of the only reasons weed isn't legal is because so many people grow their own and more would if legalised, therefore there would be no revenue for the tax man!
    Are you a real psychologist or a psychology student?

I can see why E could potentially cause trouble with people who, say have a pre-disposition to bi-polar disorder. Doesn't cannabis release dopamine, which is assoiated with schizophrenia?
  • Options
    One thing is for sure though canabis is dangerous. But no more so than alcohol IMO.. so .. legalise and regulate it I guess would be the logical answer..
    My Dad's partner is an alcoholic... Alcohol is one fucked up drug... Imagine how much less rape, domestic violence and assaults we'd have without it. Tbh, I have little time for people who drink and preach about illegal drugs.
  • Options
    as a psychologist

Yeh and I'm Elvis Presely. :yeees:

Having schizophrenia doesn't make you a 'nutter,' it can be controlled quite easily with certain drugs.

As for weed not being as dangerous as E's, I've seen as many weed heads fuck their lives up over the stuff as I have E heads. You don't know what you're talking about, this idea of weed being just a bit of harmless fun is dangerous in itself to peddle.

And as for weed dealers not scamming people with dodgy gear, :lol::lol::lol: silly person.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    My Dad's partner is an alcoholic... Alcohol is one fucked up drug... Imagine how much less rape, domestic violence and assaults we'd have without it. Tbh, I have little time for people who drink and preach about illegal drugs.

Are you inferring that I am preaching ?
  • Options
    hana
    as a psychologist

i am extremely wary of anyone who invokes their field to back a point, especially when they make sweeping statements with no evidence.

The integrity of a discipline is based upon the successfulness of it explanations of things, backed up by a body of properly arranged evidence - not invoking its name as some kind of stamp of authority.
  • Options

Actually heart attacks are rare from MDMA, they are far more common from cocaine. And the idea of one bad pill finishing you off has been discredited time and again, customers dying is not good for business.
    the truth is everything in moderation, excessive use of anything is going to do damage. as a psychologist i would say that ecstacy is more likely to do damage than marijuana.

It entirely depends on the person and the type of use.
    One of the only reasons weed isn't legal is because so many people grow their own and more would if legalised, therefore there would be no revenue for the tax man!

Yes, because the government would hate to loose all the money its currently making from cannabis - oh wait, thats not right.
    I think we all need to have a close look at amsterdam. Weed is readily available, there are no dodgy dealers out on the streets scamming people and therefore they have reduced crime rate in that area compared to the uk. They all live in harmony!

Rubbish, the trade is virtually all controlled by nasty gangsters, there is no product quality control and absolutely no way of really knowing what you are buying.
    As for schizophrenics etc. wouldn't that indicate that most of the generation around for the 60's/70's would be nutters?

Being a 'psychologist' I would have thought you would understand the condition and not refer to them as "nutters" - aparently not.
  • Options
    anyone remember that simpsons episode; "Lets ask this Scien-tician..."