Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I hate suspense

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, so several weeks ago, called uni about accommodation, basically there was a muck up and I hadn't been informed that even though I was returned as a first year student I'm not eligible for first year accommodation.. so the manager guy said sorry and bumped me to the top of the waiting list and said that I had a good chance of getting uni accommodation now, but it wasn't guaranteed. Fair enough.

Two weeks ago, called them up to see if anything was happening yet, they said they were running behind allocating first years. Last Thursday, called again, clueless lady said 'errr no spaces if you're not a first year', I explained I'd been in correspondence with the manager, so she went 'oh', I spoke to him and he said he's finished the main body of them but he's got a couple left who've applied late, and if I could wait until Monday that would be brilliant.

So, emailed him 10:30 this morning, no reply. Emailed again 2.45, no reply. Called just now, no answer on phone. Called the office, sheepish lady said sorry he's out of office, was apologetic for some reason? (I'm not guaranteed accommodation so she doesn't 'owe' me anything, but maybe my name has got round the office?)

So now I've got to wait until tomorrow, and even then I might have to go into private accommodation (not arranged as yet as they all want me to sign a 12 month lease which I'm not going to do in case I get campus accommodation), and I'm supposed to be leaving on Sunday!

I think I might have a glass of red. Anyone fancy joining me?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just saw on the private accomodation list all the prices are quite cheap now, must be desperate to fill rooms. A flat including kitchen, bathroom, communal washing facilities is £80 per week which is quite reasonable really. Still don't want to sign a 12 month lease.

If I found out tomorrow, I could go down by train on weds / thurs / fri, they could see me, I could see the place, sign the lease, move in sunday. (To private accomodation)

Just thinking out loud lol sorry. I'm dreafully nervous.
    J wrote: »
    Nothing like leaving it to the last minute. I moved in on the 10th. (I had to as I'm a residential warden too)

Yea, know what you mean. Thing is though it's just a unique situation where I was told I'd get first year accomodation by one set of people, but they're not actually responsible and the accomodation office then told me I wouldn't, but obviously because I'd been advised otherwise (how was I to know better?) they're trying to make an extra effort, but of course they can't give me a place over a first year student who they have to guarantee a place for.

But my attitude is you win some, you lose some. I'm just so nervous lol :p (I have a good feeling... maybe that's just delirium though)
    Well, they may have found something, bit it's not extremely close to the univeristy. :/

Will have to see. I might be able to use it to leap frog to uni accomodation after the first week or so.

Otherwise, call me billy no mates :p
    Ooh, where is it? I guaruntee that I live further away from the uni than you do...
    scarcroft road, it's mature student / graduate accomodation.

And last year they put my in accomodation for the nurses who were never there!

Ah well, one of those things I suppose. *shrug*
    Oh I looked at a flat there to live this year. Didn't get it though as we live in Leeds.

At least it's near the bus route and it's handy after a night out in town! oh and it's better than having no accommodation.
    Ok I'm starting to get a bit annoyed now, I rang, the lady said she was busy with another student, I left my contact details, she didn't ring me back. I've just sent another email off now explaining situation and my contact details.

I'm annoyed because it's bloody tuesday and I go on bloody sunday. They said 'a week before'. Were apologetic last week. Then on monday when the manager said I'd know for sure, he was out of office all day. Today, I emailed him, he emailed back saying this lady was going to call me with a room possibly on the aforementioned scarcroft road, but they've been busy this week.

Thing is, I've done everything they've asked, at first I was given the wrong impression that I would be elligible for first year accomodation by course people, then I found out I wouldn't but was advised not to worry as there should be space on campus, and now 5 days before I'm due to be there they're not returning my calls.

:grump:
    Well I'm 2.4 miles away from uni. About 45 minutes walk or 15 minutes cycle I'm guessing. I can't even be bothered now...

Effing hell, they could have told me a bit in advance.
    So you're in that place then yeah? Look on the bright side- you got somewhere, you got it in time, you are near town and the night life too right? And- you got a roof over your head. 15 mins on a bike is not bad- you got a bike and a padlock?

Chill, breath, allow yourself to be relieved it got sorted in the end- begining of the thread you just wanted to know where you stood and preferably have somewhere. It;s all over now- you gopt somewhere, don't turn that pent up frustration into anger over what you got, let it go so that you can chill and appreciate what you did get. You get me? And, you have internet- it's all good.
    Yea, accomodation office aren't too fussed so I've gone to my college secretary who is super nice and is helping me. Basically, there's nothing they can do, but monday week 2 if I go to her she'll give me a form to fill in, I give that in and she'll pass it on and then when someone drops out I'll get a place! And I don't have internet :p that's the shocking thing lol.
    no internet! *gasp*
    katralla wrote: »
    no internet! *gasp*

I might be forced to do work or something :(
    Noooooooo
    There's nobody else living with me! An empty house miles away. But I've got the cycle down to about 10 minutes, York is really good for cyclists. It's just finding somewhere to 'park' on campus lol.

Looking into a mobile internet thing. If someone is bored and looks it up for me, post it on here, as I don't have enough time on the internet (using the computer rooms) to look it up for myself! Got to run now!
    You can park your bike anywhere on campus, there are loads of handy poles propping up the covered walkways! Just make sure you lock it up well cos it might get nicked. Oh and there are proper bike racks by Physics, Market Square and ... Langwith I think.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    There's nobody else living with me! An empty house miles away.

Is that a good or a bad thing?
    The way a certain lovely person who shares my kitchen at the moment is going, I'd call it a good thing.
    The way a certain lovely person who shares my kitchen at the moment is going, I'd call it a good thing.

Yea I can see the good side, I'm not fairing too badly at the minute. Because when I want some quiet time, I can go off there, but since I've moaned to literally everyone in York now, they all know me and are being friendly, so I haven't missed out there either. Went to my intro lecture today and made a couple of friends too, though they're international students and when I did that last year they tend to forget about you and join all the 'China soc' clubs and things.

However, it's not going too badly, accomodation is worse than expected, I'm in a worse situation than I thought I was going to be - but I am making the best of it and it's not too bad! Top and tailed in some on campus accomodation with someone last night, only to be awoke at 8.45 by a fire alarm.
    THere are still people wanting housemates if you don't want to stay in that house.
    I know, but it's just generally a case of not wanting to sign a lease as I want to go on campus!

I've got internet now! Bought myself a new phone (I'm that sad), and using 3G which is as good as broadband!! :D
    Wooo!

Someone's moved out and I've got a place!

Result! Apparently it's the room closest to the kitchen so it's not 'quiet', but that's brilliant for making friends. Some of the rooms and in the stairwell, completely cut off.

So just pondering what's the best way to do it now, possibly via taxi but he's going to love leaving that meter on while I fill in all the forms. :grump: