Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wireless and bt line and virgin cable line

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok at the moment we have a bt line and tesco broadband with our own wireless modem, we are moving soon, to a cable area so i am thinking of going back to them.
What i want to know is, will i need to buy a different wireless modem or will it be the same one used for cable as you use for the bt phoneline one?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Need a new one. Sorry.
    I thought you might say that :( any idea how much they are?
    About £40 ?

Check it out ^^
    If the cable modem you get has an Ethernet port then you can get a cheaper FON WiFi Router

https://shop.fon.com/FonShop/shop/GB/ShopController

Plus the benefit of being able to use Internet whilst travelling.

Also their new antenna boosts the signal loads more.
    The link you posted Dg doesnt work. Can you explain what that is please? Our modem does have a ethernet port. Is this something i have aswell?
    Hmm just read about it, and i don't fancy sharing my internet connection with everyone.
    Do you not get a box with your cable prvoider?
    Yes but i don't think its wireless. Am about to phone them and check.
    I phoned them up and she said they are doing trials atm on wireless ones and it finishes on the 31st oct then they will decide if they will be having them or not. So i might stick with bt/tesco for the move and then think about moving in a month or two.
    Sorry - What's wrong with a wireless router? You know you can Disable the wireless?
    The one Dg posted means you have to let other people access the connection too, and i am not having a mega fast conection so i don't want to be doing that. Theres nothing wrong with a normal one and yes i do know you can disable a wireless connection, no good when i want to use it though is it and 3422 other people are also using it as a hotspot?!