Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Amsterdam, Bruges or Rotterdam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Which one of these places do you think would be most suitable for an 18 year old couple. Want loads of shops, couple of nice restaurants & bars. Going for our anniversary so a bit of romance wouldn't go amiss either. :yeees:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Amsterdam is nice if you want a modern city to shop in and explore the sights/museums/famous areas.

Bruges is a very quaint pretty medival town. There isnt a vast amount of shopping but plenty of reatsurants and a few bars. If you want a long weekend it perfect, plus the seaside towns are about 20 mins max on the train and are worth a day trip.
    I got suprised by an ex boyfriend who took me to Amsterdam for the weekend one New Years eve. Amsterdam is wicked, really good ngihtlife, restaurants and it can be really romantic too! It's actually really pretty with lots of canals and squares with markets and an ice rink. We got a train one day to the seaside although fuck knows why coz it was freezing!! lol
    Amsterdam is definately where you should be heading. I'm not just saying that because of the drugs and sex shops (although they are massive factors in why this city kicks so much ass), but as Lipsy said, Amsterdam is actually a really beautiful city with loads of canals and pretty buildings. There are loads of great bars, restaurants and museums and a boat trip down the canals can be really romantic. The nightlife is absolutely superb, some of the best clubs can be found in Amsterdam.

Bruges is also a very pretty city. As freeallangels said, it's an old medieval city and you can take a romantic trip around the city in in a horse cart. Bruges is definately romantic but a bit boring if you're up for a bit of nightlife aswell.

I only drove through Rotterdam, but from what I remember of it, it was very industrial and rather ugly. I haven't seen the rest of the city though, so I could be wrong. Apparantly the nightlife is very good...
    Looks like it's gonna be Amsterdam then. All i've got to do now is persuade my bf that he'll be okay on the ferry (it's a minicruise you see!) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Blimey if your getting the ferry then definately go to bruges (or you can get the train) - the ferry to holland is LONG and then you still hve to get from the sea side to amsterdam at the other end
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Blimey if your getting the ferry then definately go to bruges (or you can get the train) - the ferry to holland is LONG and then you still hve to get from the sea side to amsterdam at the other end

Yeah but it's worth it.
    I flew to Amsterdam when I went, but I've been on the ferry to the Hook of Holland before and it wasn't that long. It's a picturesque journey from there through Holland anyway...
    just had a look at the schedule, the Amsterdam ship departs at 9pm and gets to rotterdam for 8am, and Amsterdam for 10.30. Bruges leaves at 7pm and gets to Zebrugge for 8.30am, and Bruges for 9.30am. Not much difference really.
    I guess it depends where your going from for me door to door to Brugge is about 3-4 hours where as AMS would only be that if I flew.