Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What do you think i should do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello everyone,
I have a dog (bitch) and it sleeps outside in my back garden.
We live in a terraced house and the house that backs onto our house has a dog which has been climbing over the fence and shagging my dog.

We spoke to the owners several times to ask them to stop their dog and have also asked if the dog has been neutered as we did not want puppies.

Despite the fact they assured us the mongral was neutered we seem to think our dog is pregnant. Does anyone know what i could legally do to the owners of the mongral if she is pregnant if anything at all?
Also does anyone want a puppy? haha

matt

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know, they could argue that your dog was kept outside also so it's a shared responsibility, it's always a good idea to keep a bitch out of the way when she's in season cause all the dogs come flocking. If you don't want pups you should also get her spade or keep her indoors when she's in season.
    However, if they've lied about the dog being done, maybe you have a case. But i doubt it.
    Spay the bitch. Problem solved. :thumb:

You have just as much responsibility to keep your dog unavailable for breeding as the other owners are in keeping their dog somewhere safe. By the sound of it your fencing isn't dog proof.

I think you can perform abortions on dogs. You should have the dog checked by a vet if she's pregnant, and discuss your options with the vet after that. If she is and it can be aborted you might be able to ask your neighbours to share the cost with you. It seems like a sheer waste of time to be making a legal case out of this.
    If the neighbour's dog is gelded, it could also be that some other dog got to your bitch. It's quite hard to prove which dog it is unless you're absolutely certain that there's no other way into your garden than through the fence between you and your neighbour.

And again, spay the bitch.
    I don't want to do anything to my dog which may stop her having pups in the future as she is a pedigree.
    As for my garden it is enclosed by walls except for the bit at the top which i put fences across but the other dog has broken them trying to get in, my dog could not get out u til then.

I know its their dog as they are the only two dogs in the close vacinity that can get to each other. I have never seen my dog get out but theirs has been in my garden several times.

As for the shared responsibility i have put fences (all be it not brilliant ones) which stop my dog getting out but if the other dog tries to get in then it breaks the fence so i am doing my part, my arguement is that they should do theirs

Matt
    Why have you not had your bitch spayed if you don't want puppies?
    to be fair, if you keep your bitch in the garden overnight when shes on heat, dogs will travel from miles around to get a go of her - pedigree or not. Its not their fault.

If shes having crossbreed puppies, that would also affect the pedigree of anyfuture puppies in the next few years i believe (i dont know why, but i think its true).

You either get your dog spayed or keep her in when shes on heat tbh.
    sorry, but WHY should he have to keep her in when she is in season?

she is on HIS property, his land

obvuoisly there is an issue with easy access to the dog, but thats all that he is guilty of, and for all we know, it could be the other person's fence which is dodgy, therefore their responsibility

keeping her in obviously isnt an option or i'm guessing he would do it

i dont see why his own dog shouldnt be allowed in his own backgarden

i also dont see why he should have her spayed, he may want puppies in the future, just not now
    I really don't like the idea of a dog sleeping outside every night! I know people do it but I couldn't imagine my Archie sleeping out on his lonesome in the cold :(
    lipsy wrote: »
    I really don't like the idea of a dog sleeping outside every night! I know people do it but I couldn't imagine my Archie sleeping out on his lonesome in the cold :(

haha i'm the same with my percy....some dogs like it though i guess :confused:
    I wouldn't put a dog out at night, but I'll happily boot my cat out for the night if she's pissing me off.
    Littleali wrote: »

Maybe because he doesn't want her to get pregnant? :chin:
    Animals don't give a hoot about manmade boundaries. It's thus the responsibility of both owners to ensure that the breeding isn't possible. However, it's commonly more urgent for female owners.
    obvuoisly there is an issue with easy access to the dog, but thats all that he is guilty of, and for all we know, it could be the other person's fence which is dodgy, therefore their responsibility

If he is guilty of easy access to the dog, then that's also only thing the neighbour is guilty of. With two animals it is a two way street. ;)
    i also dont see why he should have her spayed, he may want puppies in the future, just not now

So far nothing indicates that the dog is suitable for breeding. Sure it may have a pedigree but that doesn't mean it's worth breeding. We don't know everything but at a quick glance it sounds like a family pet. Just because it has a uterus doesn't mean it should be bred.
    Jaloux wrote: »
    If he is guilty of easy access to the dog, then that's also only thing the neighbour is guilty of. With two animals it is a two way street. ;)

if its the other dog owner's fence though, its THEIR responsibility to either fix it, or keep their dog in/away from his dog...surely?

So far nothing indicates that the dog is suitable for breeding. Sure it may have a pedigree but that doesn't mean it's worth breeding. We don't know everything but at a quick glance it sounds like a family pet. Just because it has a uterus doesn't mean it should be bred.

who is on about suitability? he may want her to have puppies, regardless of their "worth"
    lipsy wrote: »
    Exactly what I was going to say, even about the dog named Archie ;)
    why don't you both agree to keep both dogs in when she's on season? It's only twice a year. Then he can't smell her and won't be whining. It's not really fair for her to be out when she's on season, cause the she will basicially be going 'Come and get me!' the the dogs will go mad. She won't be an angel!
    if its the other dog owner's fence though, its THEIR responsibility to either fix it, or keep their dog in/away from his dog...surely?

You can't change the fact that he owns the female and if he keeps her out where other dogs can reach through HIS fencing then it's his reponsibility. It's pretty basic. :)
    who is on about suitability? he may want her to have puppies, regardless of their "worth"

He has no idea what to do with the pups if she's pregnant this time. I don't think it's likely to be much different in the future. It's cruel and selfish to breed animals just because you want to. Most shelters can vouch for that.

-
    I do like ballerina's suggestion. It should be pretty easy to prevent this, sure mistakes do happen but owners of animals must be the ones responsible for what happens to them and do what they can to prevent stuff like this from happening.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    why don't you both agree to keep both dogs in when she's on season? It's only twice a year. Then he can't smell her and won't be whining. It's not really fair for her to be out when she's on season, cause the she will basicially be going 'Come and get me!' the the dogs will go mad. She won't be an angel!

exactly!
    I took my dog out for a walk when she was in season once, on the lead, but all the male dogs knew even from a distance and were following us around, trying to mount her. Its not their fault, they go crazy for the smell, and if you dont want her to get pregnant, then you keep her in when shes on heat. Its your responsibility as a dog owner because youre providing an irresistable temaptation for all the other dogs in the neighbourhood who will do houdini like tricks to get at her if shes out, especially all night.
    Dogs dont have the same boundaries as humans do believe it or not
    Yeah, it's not fair for her to be out on display. Even the owner did manage to stop his dog, it would be howling all night. Easiest thing would be to keep her in when she's on - alot easier than trying to stop loads of randy dogs who will do anything to get at her!
    When we had our old dogs, even though we had a high wall and fence so the dogs couldnt get in, they would be qued up outside the gate in the morning when they were on!
    Ok i guess the conversation has lead down many roads without answers.

I live in a terraced house in the middle which is enclosed by mostly 6 - 8ft walls on either side, the only access is through a double fenced entry and via hopping over several people's gardens.

I have put up fences on both my accessible walls (the back one is 10ft as the houses that back onto mine are on higher ground) my dog CANNOT get out whilst the fences are up and "operational".

Therefore, in or out my job is done, i am NOT responsible for other people's dogs and nor should i have to be, just because my dog is female and may be on heat does not mean i should have to keep my dog in, spay her or anything else. If you own a dog it is your responsibility to make sure the dog does not leave your property for the simple reason that if it attacks anyone else it will be put down FACT.

My dog is a pedigree cocker spanial bred by a reliable breeder and is a working dog. There is NO reason why the dog should not be outside, she has plenty of her own space and has an outhouse which has a kennel inside it for when it rains/is cold etc.

The reason the dog has been out more recently is that we have just had a baby and are integrating her slowly as well as dealing with the demands a new born puts on you. (By no means is she neglected or unwanted, just not in for as long as she used to be although now she is used to the baby she is in as much as normal).

I have watched the dog from the other house get over 3 fences to get to my dog and all 3 fences are not my responsibilty and so i have no control over the fences, i have had to replace my fence 3 times because of the other dog/the dogs owners. Whilst i could get a better stronger fence i simply cannot afford it at present and as previously said, i don't think i should have to, if i can keep my dog in my garden why cant other people.

If there is anything i havnt answered i apologies but i think i have covered everything.

Matt

keeping her in obviously isnt an option or i'm guessing he would do it

i dont see why his own dog shouldnt be allowed in his own backgarden

I think you hit every nail on every head.
    Thanks
    Matt
    He has no idea what to do with the pups if she's pregnant this time. I don't think it's likely to be much different in the future. It's cruel and selfish to breed animals just because you want to. Most shelters can vouch for that.

6 Months ago i had no idea how to be a dad and yet i am getting on with it quite well.
    5 years ago i had no idea how to drive yet i manage fine now.
    10 years ago i had no idea how to get a job yet i have been employed for quite some time.
    23 years ago i couldn't hold my head up without support and yet i can practically do head stands now.

Do i need to continue or do you now realise how rediculous that comment is.
    Fact is i have an 8 week old baby and i wouldnt want to have puppies now.
    Thanks
    Matt
    The dog is still getting in though, there's not much else you can do except keep her in when she's on, which will be for a few nights twice a year. Even if the dog couldnt get through, he would still howl and cause even more trouble. There really is not much you can do about it. It's an unfortunate part of having a bitch. Its either that or she gets knocked up.
    I understand you're introducing her gently to the baby but if she's just been on season then it's going to be about 6 months before another (unless she's already pregnant) so by then it will probably be ok?