Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Putting savings in change into account

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got about £25 of savings in change in a bottle, i want to put it into my account, but how do i do it? There's alot! I've seen a machine in a bank in a shopping centre that counts up coins, do i have to use one of those?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go to a bank, ask for some money bags, split it up into demoninations it states on the bags, take them in, they will weigh them to make sure they are right and bobs your uncle.

or as its only £25, why not go to a CoinStar machine and donate a bit to charity at the same time?
    as koe says you must bag it up to pay it into the bank, and best to go at a quiet time they can be a bit funny about peoples copper collections!
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I've got about £25 of savings in change in a bottle, i want to put it into my account, but how do i do it? There's alot! I've seen a machine in a bank in a shopping centre that counts up coins, do i have to use one of those?

If you chose to use one of those machines it will give you larger demoninations but they take a cut (I think the one at my local supermarket takes 8%).
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    koe_182 wrote: »
    or as its only £25, why not go to a CoinStar machine and donate a bit to charity at the same time?

Yeah thats what I do. Gives about 6% to charity. Plus I find it fun to watch the amount go up as the machine makes funny noises, but that might just be me!
    JsT wrote: »
    Yeah thats what I do. Gives about 6% to charity. Plus I find it fun to watch the amount go up as the machine makes funny noises, but that might just be me!

Nah, its me too! Its really good fun watching the money mount up. And there always seems to be more than you predicted. Only problem is you always end up with one coin that just isn't accepted no matter how many times you try. :D

They have them in Sainsbury's. We used to save all our change up in our student house, then take it to Sainsbury's and spend all the money on booze :p
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    There is always one coin. Such a pain!
    JsT wrote: »
    There is always one coin. Such a pain!
    Good when it's a pound coin thats somehow worked it's way in with your coppers though! Beats losing 9p of it :p
    Calvin wrote: »
    Only problem is you always end up with one coin that just isn't accepted no matter how many times you try. :D

or the 1 Euro coin, which you never realised you had until it falls out the bottom..theres always one!
    Take it all to your bank / building society.

If they refuse to take MONEY, threaten to close your account as they won't allow you to put money in :lol:

That'll save you counting it all out ;)
    You can either get a coinstar machine to count it for you, but they usually keep 8-10% of what you put in, or get a load of bags from your local bank, count them up, and hand them in.
    Yeah, I also find myself having a lot of small coins in a box after a while. Next time change it into the smallest unit (pennies for you?), then pay some old debt to someone you don't like :P