Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bugger

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Stupid uni is so slow getting the damn timetables out, and I've just discovered an issue.

I work Thursday nights, starting at 5pm. That night earns me just short of £30, and contributes to the £80 a week I earn, and rely on. Student loan or not, I have a horse to keep, and when I'm trying to pay off the overdraft I amassed last year, the loan doesn't go far.

I'm timetabled for a lecture finishing at 4pm on a Thursday. In itself that is no problem, I don't live on campus, and it can take over an hour to get back from university, but at that time of day (at least yesterday) it took just over 30minutes. Half an hour later though, and I'm looking at it being 5.30 before I'm through the door.

The only tutorials for that module, are running 4-5pm on a thursday. Sods bloody law. :banghead:

The two options that I can see, are change my module to economics, which is on a friday, or not work thursday night. I need to talk to my boss (I work so he can finish at 5), but really, is there any point me going in at 6.30 when I work in a chip shop? We've normally died down by that point. If I could start later, we might be sorted.

I have this week to decide whether I want to change any modules. Thing is, I really wanted to do the Psychology one, but as there are only two tutorials, at the same time, I can't even request an earlier one. Anybody able to come up with a bright idea? :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sell or loan the horse, prob solved.

Ok, I know you're gonna flame me, but before you do, I should explain myself.

I know a lot of students who used to have horses and loved them but thought that with studying and everything they wouldnt have the time or money to look after the horse. Although one friend has kept her horse whilst her mum pays for it and her sister schools it (though if she wants to take it to an event OMG the world shall end?!?!). It's a godo juming pony too and is just 10 I think so best age, yet it's 'rider' is away at university getting drunk and ejnoying being a student - which is great for her.

Of course, if you can wrangle it feel free but youc an't burn the candle at both ends. If you talk to your boss you amy be able to come to an arrangement especially isnc ehe knows oyure a student and yhour life ambition isn't to become a chip shop lady.

Though I do like chips.

Hope you don't feel I've come across too harsh, I'm just oging by my own experience of friends who've had their hearts broken because they couildn't have a horse and go to university.
    Unfortunately (I say that, but..) it's definately not possible to loan him out now. He's off to horsepital in the next couple of weeks because he's not well, and even if I were willing to loan him out (I'm too protective, and he's too bolshy) I wouldn't do so until he was completely right. I see what you are saying though, and I know many people who've done just that. I'm very lucky though, and I am able to keep him through university.

I'm thinking about it, and wondering why I'm making such a big deal tbh. I survived on £30 a week last year (plus loan and a £60per month allowance), the only difference this year is paying for petrol on a weekly basis, but I'd still earn £50pw. I think it's more that I really want this overdraft gone by the end of the year, and also my parents are struggling for money a little and if I can shoulder some of the costs, it would keep them happier. They'd never say sell him, because they know how I feel about him, but I'd rather they didn't resent buying him.

Shall talk to my boss. He might say I can start later, then cover him for a couple of hours on a dinner time, in fact I shall suggest just that.
    What the hell happened to my typing in the first post?

Good luck with the boss, I'm sure a shift change won't be the end of the world.
    Talking to your boss is a good first step.

Assuming you have a student account your overdraft will be free so why are you trying to pay it off? Worry about paying off your overdraft when you finish uni (you'll still have a year interest free and you'll be earning money).
    Maybe look for another job with easier hours to fit around your modules.
    I'm paying off my overdraft because I hate having it.

Sorted it with my boss - I'm going to start an hour/hour and a half later on a Thursday. :thumb:
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    What the hell happened to my typing in the first post?

Good luck with the boss, I'm sure a shift change won't be the end of the world.

i just thought you were pissed ShyBoy:D