Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Seven Year Marriage

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yea but wikipedia still lies about a lot of stuff, proving my point.
    they are called pagans not "handfasting people" :)

Te he, ok, sorry. I don't actually mean all pagans though, just the ones who have performed the handfasting ceremony. It's up to them to decide how long they are joining for, their choice, not some outsider like a politician telling them they obviously don't know their own mind, which is how I feel the seven year policy comes across.

ETA: Have I missunderstood? Do the couple specify the term at the handfasting ceremony or do they just continue in those increments?
    can be either...some decide to see how it goes and continue with a year and a day for a while, where as others go up in increments, those are the traditional time periods, but the couple can specify the time period...being able to break the agreement when needed is also an advantage...
    On a totally off-topic subject what's happened to Sofie - I just noticed that's she's lost all her posts and is non-clickable?
    i was going to ask the same question... Pm a mod?
    She has ascended to a higher plane of existence. Just imagine what happened to Gandalf after his battle with the Balrog. She'll come back eventually, arrayed in white, and when we say welcome back Soph, she'll look in wonder and reply: 'Ah yes, 'Sophie', that's what they used to called me isn't it?'.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Runnymede wrote: »
    She has ascended to a higher plain of existence. Just imagine what happened to Gandalf after his battle with the Balrog. She'll come back eventually, arrayed in white and when we say welcome back Soph, she'll look in wonder and reply: 'Ah Sophie, that's what they used to called me isn't it?'.
    "plane"
    "plane"

I know, smart-ass.
    "plane"

SpellingNazi.jpg

My useful contribution.

On another point, do people take marriage too seriously these days? It's a contract, a lovely one at that, but why can't they keep it simple? You both belong to each other until such time as one declares they don't want to and can prove they're not just going through a phase.

A 7 sear thingy mabboby seems a waste of time, more red tape and needless. I know people complain about marriage in the sense people get taken advantage of but thats the point of marriage - you should marry someone you love and trust completely.

If you partner does a runner with the milkman and then takes the BMW and your money it's your fault for signing a contract with someone who wasn't trustworthy. Why it's good to think about potential partners and not rush into marriage like everyone seems to want to these days because they get caught upp in the honeymoon period.
    yea it does seem a waste of time. if you love the person, marry them. no need for divorce if you are truly in love. if you make a mistake, you should be able to divorce that person.
    With a seven year lifetime on a marriage certificate you'd know exactly how long your sentence was. Perhaps you could even get let out early for good behaviour?
    it shouldnt be like a jail term, thats the point. it should last as long as the married couple or individual wants it to last.